This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9021 / 53°54'7"N
Longitude: -2.9532 / 2°57'11"W
OS Eastings: 337465
OS Northings: 445520
OS Grid: SD374455
Mapcode National: GBR 7RT9.FZ
Mapcode Global: WH84X.L5XY
Plus Code: 9C5VW22W+RP
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 20 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472745
Location: Stalmine-with-Staynall, Wyre, Lancashire, FY6
Civil Parish: Stalmine-with-Staynall
Built-Up Area: Stalmine
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Pilling St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD34NE STALMINE WITH STAYNALL
CHURCH OF ST JAMES
Anglican church. Early C19, remodelled c.1880, and with minor late C20 extension. Rendered and dashed rubble stone with tooled ashlar dressings, coped gables and a Westmorland slate roof covering, laid to diminishing courses.
PLAN: Elongated cruciform plan, with bellcote to galleried west end and north and south transepts. Simplified neo-Romanesque style.
EXTERIOR: West gable with shallow lancets to upper walling to light gallery , set below bellcote with 2 bells and segmentally- pedimented cap. South side wall with 2 and 3-light windows with drip moulds to the semi-circular heads to the lights. Gabled C20 porch to left end encloses south door with chamfered ashlar surround to semi-circular headed doorway.
Shallow west transept with a pair of lancets. Chancel with single lancet to side wall and 3-light east gable window together with linking string course at cill level. Deeper north transept with vestry door to east side wall, and 2-light window to gable. Low gabled wing to centre of side wall with wide semi-circular opening to east wall. Fu1l-height stair wing to west end with blind gable.
INTERIOR: 3 bay nave with single bay gallery to west end. 2 bay chancel beyond single crossing bay with organ chamber to south and vestry to north. Nave roof carried on triple purlins supported by king post trusses with curved struts to centre and angled struts at ends. Trusses to crossings and nave have deep arch braces supporting collars beneath diminutive posts. The braces rise from posts at either end of the crossing bay, from which side and transverse braces of different heights extend to support horizontal timbers. Chancel with late C19 choir benches, altar rail and pulpit, with panelling to north side wall. Chancel with full set of late C19 benches. West gallery with tiered benching, and panelled front with spindle arcading below upper rail. Late C18 hatchment and commandment boards from earlier church to gallery west wall. Wall monument to James Bourne of Stalmine Hall, d. 1841 to the east of the south door.
Listing NGR: SD3746545520