History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clows Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Chalford, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7211 / 51°43'15"N

Longitude: -2.147 / 2°8'49"W

OS Eastings: 389938

OS Northings: 202493

OS Grid: SO899024

Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.3YX

Mapcode Global: VH955.Q0TG

Entry Name: Clows Bridge

Listing Date: 12 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245128

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468818

Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Chalford

Built-Up Area: Chalford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chalford

Listing Text

SO8902 CHALFORD CHALFORD BOTTOM

1374/13/10013 Clows Bridge

II

Shown on OS map as Clowes Bridge. Canal bridge. Dated 1783. Limestone ashlar.Segmental arch with saw-tooth voussoirs; the keystone on the west side is inscribed :- "CLOWS ENGINR 1783"; above the keystone there is a projecting stone. The parapets are ramped up at the centre and have dressed stone coping. The Thames and Severn Canal was authorized in 1783 and opened in 1789; Josiah Clowes was the surveyor and engineer.


Listing NGR: SO8993802493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SO8902 CHALFORD CHALFORD BOTTOM

1374/13/10013 Clows Bridge

II

Shown on OS map as Clowes Bridge. Canal bridge. Dated 1783. Limestone ashlar.Segmental arch with saw-tooth voussoirs; the keystone on the west side is inscribed :- "CLOWS ENGINR 1783"; above the keystone there is a projecting stone. The parapets are ramped up at the centre and have dressed stone coping. The Thames and Severn Canal was authorized in 1783 and opened in 1789; Josiah Clowes was the surveyor and engineer.


Listing NGR: SO8993802493

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.