History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bingley Church of England First School

A Grade II Listed Building in Bingley, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.85 / 53°51'0"N

Longitude: -1.8369 / 1°50'12"W

OS Eastings: 410829

OS Northings: 439322

OS Grid: SE108393

Mapcode National: GBR HRMX.3M

Mapcode Global: WHC91.RHHC

Plus Code: 9C5WV527+27

Entry Name: Bingley Church of England First School

Listing Date: 8 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245219

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472721

Location: Bingley, Bradford, BD16

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Bingley

Built-Up Area: Bingley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bingley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in


SE 1039 SE
PARK ROAD (West side) 546/9/10005
Bingley Church of England First School


School. 1814, extended c1870. Dressed local gritstone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. Originally single storey, northern section raised later. Plinth. South gable wall has tall central window with later casements. Above a plaque inscribed NATIONAL SCHOOL, ERECTED, 1814, with either side a small plain sash. Above in gable a large circular clock. Main street front has 13 windows, with central 2 storey gabled cross wing topped with square cupola or bellcote under pyramidal slate roof This gable has a door with overlight and above a pointed arched window with tracery .To left single storey original range with 4 wooden casement windows, then a further window now converted to a doorway with window above, then an original door with overlight. To right altered 2 storey range extended late C19 with five windows, the central one taller, above 6 windows the third one in through eaves gable with stone cross mullion window. Originally built as a national school, it closed in 1824 and then re-opened as a mill school in 1833. This school was the scene of a terrible disaster in 1869, when a boiler adjoining the school exploded and 15 people including several children playing in the school yard were killed.

Listing NGR: SE1082939322

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.