This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8084 / 51°48'30"N
Longitude: 0.4765 / 0°28'35"E
OS Eastings: 570827
OS Northings: 215094
OS Grid: TL708150
Mapcode National: GBR PJL.F9V
Mapcode Global: VHJJP.6TR2
Plus Code: 9F32RF5G+9J
Entry Name: Cottage 15 Metres East of the Gables
Listing Date: 8 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472726
Location: Great Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Great Waltham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Waltham St Mary and St Lawrence with Ford End St John
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL71NW GREAT WALTHAM HYDE HALL LANE
719/2/10034 Cottage 15 metres
east of The Gables
House, now in use as a garden shed. Early C19, extended c. 1830. Timber framed and plastered, with clay and flint east outshut; roofs of corrugated clay tiles. EXTERIOR: one storey. Original house with plank door left of centre on west side. One unhorned 3/6 sash right and left. External gable-end stacks". East outshut of c. 1830 under catslide roof One single-light casement with glazing bars to north and south ends. Single- storey extension of c. 1820 added to south of main gable, lit through one top-hung late C20 casement in west wall. Brick lean-to scullery added to south gable of the extension c. 1830: plank door in west wall, one 2-light casement to south return with glazing bars. Brick stack.
INTERIOR: timber frame and roof of thin scantling is intact. Segmental brick fireplace in north wall of north room. Cladding of partition wall between this and south room removed, but frame remains. East outshut of flint nodules embedded in clay. Roof of common rafters, collars and ridge piece. Wall plates intact, that to west with face-halved scarf joint. First south extension reached through 4-panelled door. Plain fireplace opening. Scullery with fire surround for copper and fireplace (both missing).
Listing NGR: TL7082715094
Other nearby listed buildings