History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

J Evans and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Bloomsbury, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5236 / 51°31'24"N

Longitude: -0.1416 / 0°8'29"W

OS Eastings: 529023

OS Northings: 182157

OS Grid: TQ290821

Mapcode National: GBR D8.C0

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.HYHW

Plus Code: 9C3XGVF5+C9

Entry Name: J Evans and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477024

Location: Bloomsbury, Camden, London, W1T

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Souls Langham Place

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/93/278 (West side)
15/09/88 No.35
J Evans and attached railings


Terraced house and shop. Built c1793; shopfront of c1916; top
2 storeys rebuilt mid-C20. Flemish bond brick; roof not
visible; brick stacks. Double-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys. 2 windows and 2-window return (1 blind)
to Warren Street. Fine dairy shopfront. "J. EVANS/DAIRY
FARMER" is painted on gilded glass fascia above shopfront
which has semicircular arch over 6-panelled door with
decorative fanlight to left, and half-glazed door with
overlight to street corner flanked by segmental-arched
plate-glass shop windows which are set in a glazed blue tile
surround with white tile panels beneath windows and Art
Nouveau floral decoration to white tile strips flanking
openings. Ground floor to right facing Warren Street has
channelled stucco with 2 square-headed C20 casement windows.
Flat brick arches to C20 casement windows on upper storeys.
INTERIOR: shop has white glazed tile walls and original marble
shop counter with hand-painted pastoral scenes set in blue
tile frames beneath.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Post Office Directory records the arrival
of "J. Evans, dairyman" in 1916. The shop is one of the best
surviving examples of a Welsh dairy, common in London in early
C20 but now extremely rare. The tilework in this example is
particularly attractive.

Listing NGR: TQ2902382155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.