History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowling Green Pavilion at the Three Magpies Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hall Green, Birmingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4316 / 52°25'53"N

Longitude: -1.8359 / 1°50'9"W

OS Eastings: 411254

OS Northings: 281530

OS Grid: SP112815

Mapcode National: GBR 6GV.K6

Mapcode Global: VH9ZB.449Q

Entry Name: Bowling Green Pavilion at the Three Magpies Public House

Listing Date: 23 May 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245355

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468697

Location: Birmingham, B28

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Hall Green

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Hall Green The Church of the Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Solihull

Listing Text

SP 18 SW BIRMINGHAM SHIRLEY ROAD

Bowling Green Pavillion at
997/13/10170 the Three Magpies P.H.

GV II


Bowling Green Pavilion, 1935, by Wood, Kendrick & Reynolds, for Mitchells and Butlers. Brown brick in Flemish bond, single storey, flat roofed pavilion built as part of the adjacent Three Magpies public house development. Three bays with semi-circular brick piers forming open loggia to changing rooms to rear. Terrazzo floor. Wide timber eaves with plain Moderne pattern. Later timber-framed, half-glazed forward projection to the front has enclosed the pavilion. Original iron gate and notice gives access to the Three Magpies beer garden.
Listed for group value, as a good demonstration of the 'Reformed' public house movement's interest in providing healthy alternative pursuits along with that of drinking.
Original plans held by Birmingham City Council (Building Plan no. 62996, 3rd May, 1935).

Listing NGR: SP1125981564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SP 18 SW BIRMINGHAM SHIRLEY ROAD

Bowling Green Pavillion at
997/13/10170 the Three Magpies P.H.

GV II


Bowling Green Pavilion, 1935, by Wood, Kendrick & Reynolds, for Mitchells and Butlers. Brown brick in Flemish bond, single storey, flat roofed pavilion built as part of the adjacent Three Magpies public house development. Three bays with semi-circular brick piers forming open loggia to changing rooms to rear. Terrazzo floor. Wide timber eaves with plain Moderne pattern. Later timber-framed, half-glazed forward projection to the front has enclosed the pavilion. Original iron gate and notice gives access to the Three Magpies beer garden.
Listed for group value, as a good demonstration of the 'Reformed' public house movement's interest in providing healthy alternative pursuits along with that of drinking.
Original plans held by Birmingham City Council (Building Plan no. 62996, 3rd May, 1935).

Listing NGR: SP1125981564

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.