History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newlyn Art Gallery

A Grade II Listed Building in Penzance, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1079 / 50°6'28"N

Longitude: -5.5486 / 5°32'54"W

OS Eastings: 146369

OS Northings: 29123

OS Grid: SW463291

Mapcode National: GBR DXPD.F6S

Mapcode Global: VH05H.SK14

Entry Name: Newlyn Art Gallery

Listing Date: 6 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245365

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468707

Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Penzance

Built-Up Area: Penzance

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Newlyn

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Penzance

Listing Text

SW 4629 PENZANCE NEW ROAD
(South East, Off)
866/7/10006 Newlyn

Newlyn Art Gallery

GV II

Art Gallery. 1894, opened 1895. By James Hicks for the Newlyn School of Art. Granite rubble with dressed quoins and lintels, whitewashed to rear gable; front of dressed granite laid in random patterns; gabled dry slate roof with brick stacks and clay ridge tiles. EXTERIOR: the composition, crowned by a glazed lantern with hipped roof, is dominated by its gabled facade, with bargeboards to timber 'A frame' supported by granite corbels. Immediately below is a set of four brass repousse panels, framed by carved granite brackets and an ovolo-moulded lintel. Their design represents the four elements of earth, fire, air and water (taken from Genesis 1) and depict birds, mammals and reptiles of the earth and fish: made by Philip Hodder of Newlyn and students, to a design by the famous Arts and Crafts copper craftsman JD MacKenzie, with artistic direction from the Newlyn painter Gotch. Mullioned and transomed ground-floor windows, in 1:3:1 fenestration. Sculptured panel of Stanhope Forbes, founder of the gallery, by Rev. Allan Wyon, 1948. Steps with flanking walls rise to porch on right, which has half-glazed double-doors with Gothic-style surrounds to glazed upper panels set in chamfered architrave. The right-hand elevation has the gabled roof to this porch exposed to left and 2/2-pane sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Newlyn School is recognised as being on of the most significant regional schools of painting to have arisen in the Victorian period. The historic interest of this building, and its architectural quality, is enhanced by the quality and authorship of the bronze panels to the facade.

Listing NGR: SW4636929123

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SW 4629 PENZANCE NEW ROAD
(South East, Off)
866/7/10006 Newlyn

Newlyn Art Gallery

GV II

Art Gallery. 1894, opened 1895. By James Hicks for the Newlyn School of Art. Granite rubble with dressed quoins and lintels, whitewashed to rear gable; front of dressed granite laid in random patterns; gabled dry slate roof with brick stacks and clay ridge tiles. EXTERIOR: the composition, crowned by a glazed lantern with hipped roof, is dominated by its gabled facade, with bargeboards to timber 'A frame' supported by granite corbels. Immediately below is a set of four brass repousse panels, framed by carved granite brackets and an ovolo-moulded lintel. Their design represents the four elements of earth, fire, air and water (taken from Genesis 1) and depict birds, mammals and reptiles of the earth and fish: made by Philip Hodder of Newlyn and students, to a design by the famous Arts and Crafts copper craftsman JD MacKenzie, with artistic direction from the Newlyn painter Gotch. Mullioned and transomed ground-floor windows, in 1:3:1 fenestration. Sculptured panel of Stanhope Forbes, founder of the gallery, by Rev. Allan Wyon, 1948. Steps with flanking walls rise to porch on right, which has half-glazed double-doors with Gothic-style surrounds to glazed upper panels set in chamfered architrave. The right-hand elevation has the gabled roof to this porch exposed to left and 2/2-pane sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: The Newlyn School is recognised as being on of the most significant regional schools of painting to have arisen in the Victorian period. The historic interest of this building, and its architectural quality, is enhanced by the quality and authorship of the bronze panels to the facade.

Listing NGR: SW4636929123

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.