This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2378 / 53°14'16"N
Longitude: -1.4341 / 1°26'2"W
OS Eastings: 437865
OS Northings: 371343
OS Grid: SK378713
Mapcode National: GBR 697.46P
Mapcode Global: WHDF8.YW87
Plus Code: 9C5W6HQ8+49
Entry Name: National Union of Miners Offices
Listing Date: 20 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471708
Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40
Electoral Ward/Division: Brockwell
Built-Up Area: Chesterfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 3771 SE CHESTERFIELD SALTERGATE
908/4/10013 No.100 (National Union
of Miners Offices)
Trade union offices and attached dwellings. 1893, with minor late C20 alterations. By Rollinson and Sons, architects, of Chesterfield. Smooth red brick, with ashlar sandstone dressings and coped gables, partially stepped, and a Welsh slated roof. Simplified Flemish Renaissance style. L-plan range, the taller office range to Saltergate, the subsiduary range to Clarence Road.
FRONT (north ) ELEVATION: 2 storeys, 7 bays, made up of a symmetrical 5 bay range with slightly advanced entrance bay to centre with crow-stepped gable, and a gabled L-plan section of 2 bays at the east end. Double main door with arched overlight and ashlar frieze above, set within flanking pilasters which extend to head of first floor window, and support semi-circular arch within which the window is set. Upper floor windows with arched heads and cross frames with glazing bars, lower floor openings with segmental arches and frames. Gabled range to east with full height canted bay window and set-back arch -headed doorway.
SIDE (west) ELEVATION: Broad gable withfirst floor windows flanking projecting chimney stack with corbelled base. Single bay lean-to link with lower 3 bay house with gable to left and canted ground floor bay window. Central doorway with square bay to right.
INTERIOR: Council chamber with panelling, bench seating, and plaque inscribed N.U.M. Derbyshire Area' above relief of miner at work , installed in1955. Entrance hall has panelled doors with etched and coloured glass. Stone staircase with wrought iron balusters .
HISTORY: The Derbyshire Miners Association was founded in 1880, and planned from its inception to carry out its business in Chesterfield, in offices built for the purpose, and with accommodation provided on the same site for the General Secretary and his assistant. The building was opened on the 24th June, 1893.
A rare example of a C19 purpose-built trade union office, the focal point for the organisation and management of union activities in one of the most productive coalfields in Britain. It forms a group with the adjacent statues of the first General Secretary, James Haslam (item 4/148) and the local M.P. , W.E. Harvey ( item 4/149 ).
Listing NGR: SK3786571343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings