This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4291 / 52°25'44"N
Longitude: -1.923 / 1°55'22"W
OS Eastings: 405334
OS Northings: 281233
OS Grid: SP053812
Mapcode National: GBR 5VW.94
Mapcode Global: VH9Z8.M68Q
Plus Code: 9C4WC3HG+JR
Entry Name: Stirchley Public Baths
Listing Date: 20 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471710
Location: Stirchley, Birmingham, B30
Electoral Ward/Division: Bournville
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Stirchley
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM BOURNVILLE LANE
Stirchley Public Baths
Swimming baths. 1910, by John P. Osborne. Red brick in Flemish bond and diaper pattern blue brick, and with stone dressings. Slate roofs.
PLAN: Quadrant on plan, with main bath range on north with boiler house and chimney to west, tower to east and range to south and east with main entrance at centre of curved front.
Edwardian Baroque style.
EXTERIOR: Single storey. Long curved SE front with parapet and cornice, and rusticated stone aedicules with broken pediments containing festoons; moulded cill and cornice and rusticated stone entrance centrepiece with Ionic pilasters, broken pediment containing festooned cartouche inscribed A 1910 D, coved round-arch doorway with quadrant panelled double doors, flanked by small diamond-shape windows; small octagonal cupola above with consoles and inscribed Public Baths on drum, and lead-clad dome. Large gable end on right to main north range with moulded string, large semi-circular window with raised voussoirs and occulus on raised gable of ridge light, flanking broad rusticated pilaster on left and tower on right corner, with rusticated stone lower stage with cornice and broken pediment at front with occulus, and brick upper stage with two stone quoins on each corner, and parapet with moulded stone coping raised over corners, and with louvered cupola with shallow lead-clad dome. Chimney at rear west end of north range with round-arch panels and cornice.
INTERIOR largely intact. Glazed tile pool, open to braced iron roof trusses and ridge-light; white glazed brick walls with red brick dressings; changing cubicles below and above balconies on side walls. Glazed screen at entrance, ticket hatches and glazed brick walls.
Listing NGR: SP0533481233
Other nearby listed buildings