This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5727 / 52°34'21"N
Longitude: -1.1786 / 1°10'42"W
OS Eastings: 455767
OS Northings: 297528
OS Grid: SP557975
Mapcode National: GBR 8N5.NVY
Mapcode Global: WHDJP.VLYJ
Plus Code: 9C4WHRFC+3H
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 12 May 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468675
Location: Whetstone, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Whetstone
Built-Up Area: Whetstone
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Whetstone St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 59 NE
CHURCH LANE (east, off)
CHURCH OF ST PETER
Parish church. C13, rebuilt 1335, altered c1500 and late C18, restored 1856 by Parsons and Dain, further restoration after collapse of spire 1895-97 by Goddard, Paget & Goddard and minor early C20 alterations. Local rubble stone with ashlar dressings and some brick buttresses. Slate and copper roofs, chamfered plinth and continuous cill band. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, west tower with spire, north porch, south aisle and vestry.
West tower with angle buttresses and tall octagonal stone spire, rebuilt 1856, with two sets of lucarnes, top of spire renewed 1947. Pointed arch west doorway, second stage has 2-light chamfered and pointed arch windows with Y-tracery to north and south, bell stage has single 2-light chamfered and pointed arch openings and reticulated tracery to each face. Tower topped with battlements, corner pinnacles and gargoyles. North facade has 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery to right, then gabled porch with pointed arch doorway to west. Then 3 pointed arch windows with early C19 intersecting iron tracery with buttresses between, and a single very large C18 brick buttress with 6 set-offs, and above to right a single small 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery.
East end has single 5-light 4-centred arch window with panel tracery flanked by angle corner buttresses partly re-built in brick. South facade has single 2-light pointed arch window with reticulated tracery to chancel. Lean-to vestry has central buttress and doorway to left. To west slightly set-back aisle with off-centre pointed arch chamfered doorway with to right two 2-light flat headed windows all with buttresses between. Above single clerestory window, formerly a small pointed arch window with reticulated tracery.
INTERIOR has 4 bay south arcade with double chamfered arches, octagonal piers and responds. Former chancel arch has octagonal responds with ornately carved capitals and rood beam added 1919. Triple arched sedilia with moulded arches and head stops, plus arched piscina. C16 timber roof altered C19. Wooden panelled pulpit probably 1826. East window has stained glass by Morris & Co 1935.
Listing NGR: SP5576797528
Other nearby listed buildings