History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Empress Cinema

A Grade II Listed Building in Lea Bridge, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5758 / 51°34'32"N

Longitude: -0.0145 / 0°0'52"W

OS Eastings: 537686

OS Northings: 188196

OS Grid: TQ376881

Mapcode National: GBR KV.F13

Mapcode Global: VHGQN.PNQB

Entry Name: Former Empress Cinema

Listing Date: 15 May 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245459

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468679

Location: Waltham Forest, London, E17

County: London

District: Waltham Forest

Electoral Ward/Division: Lea Bridge

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Walthamstow St Barnabas with St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Leyton

Listing Text

TQ 38 NE
1802/2/10009

HOE STREET, E17
(South West side)
Nos. 468-476 (even) Former Empress Cinema

II

Cinema. 1913, architect unknown, for Messrs Good Brothers, impressarios. Brick, with rendered facade incorporating stone decorations. Low foyer parallel with shops on street, with behind it a double-height auditorium at slight angle to street. Main facade a tripartite composition with higher central section, having a raised parapet supported on four Ionic columns over a projecting balcony. Behind this windows (boarded up at time of inspection) to projection box. Rest of upper facade blind, with lower parapet and an Ionic pilaster at each end. Dentiled string course and band to lower facade, with windows either side of paired double doors.
Interior. Auditorium of double height with shallow balcony at rear. Barrel-vaulted roof and side walls with rich plaster decoration in panels, the side walls with pilasters incorporating rosettes and swags. Deep moulded cornice and frieze continued right round the auditorium. Cyma curved balcony front ending in projecting circular ends originally treated as boxes. Proscenium partially hidden by later canopy but retains pilasters to sides.
Included as an unusually elaborate example of an early cinema, with exceptionally rich surviving plasterwork. The elaboration is especially remarkable for a small cinema in a suburban location.

Listing NGR: TQ3768688196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.