This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8671 / 51°52'1"N
Longitude: -2.2385 / 2°14'18"W
OS Eastings: 383675
OS Northings: 218753
OS Grid: SO836187
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.YPC
Mapcode Global: VH94C.4BYH
Plus Code: 9C3VVQ86+RJ
Entry Name: Number 2 to 8 and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472584
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingsholm and Wotton
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Gloucester St Catharine
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318NE WELLINGTON PARADE
844-1/9/373 (East side)
23/01/52 Nos.2-8 (Consecutive)
and attached area railings
Terrace of seven houses. Completed 1814, later alterations.
Brick with ashlar facade (painted to No.2 and partly replaced
with render to No.6), slate roofs, brick stacks with chimney
pots. Double-depth block with rear wings, originally designed
as four houses, as No.2, but each of the three houses to the
south subsequently divided into two houses at an early date.
EXTERIOR: three storeys and basements with railed pavement
areas and continuous parapet with stone coping; each of the
original houses were designed to be five wide bays with an
identical but blind bay masking the position of each party
wall and at the south end of the terrace where another house
may have been planned. Each of the original doorways are
round-arched and has a recessed moulded timber frame with a
semicircular, "batswing" pattern, metal fanlight above the
lintel except the doorway to No.3 where the fanlight has been
replaced by replica; on the ground floor all the windows and
the window openings altered to doorways are inset in
round-arched recesses; arched sashes with glazing bars, margin
panes, and Gothic glazing in the upper sashes. Nos 4, 6 & 8
have entrance doorways formed in window openings; Nos 6 & 8
with slightly smaller fanlights of similar pattern to the
original. The basement windows are recessed in openings with
segmental arched heads and except where altered have sashes
with glazing bars; on the first and second floors sashes with
glazing bars (3x4 panes) in openings with projecting stone
INTERIOR: not inspected, but known to have retained most of
original joinery and cornicing.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement areas are bridged with stone
steps to the entrance doorway thresholds, and the areas and
bridges have wrought-iron railings and gates with turned or
twisted finials and iron finials to main standards.
Although probably planned as four 5-bay houses, it is evident
that they were completed as now, with Nos 3 to 8 alternating
3-bay and 2-bay houses with blind windows in front of
alternate party walls and with narrower doors to Nos 6 & 8.
The unfinished south gable indicates that a further house was
Listing NGR: SO8367518753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings