History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Beauchief and Greenhill, Sheffield

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3253 / 53°19'30"N

Longitude: -1.4886 / 1°29'19"W

OS Eastings: 434156

OS Northings: 381048

OS Grid: SK341810

Mapcode National: GBR LY1Z.HP

Mapcode Global: WHDDW.3PD4

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 18 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472985

Location: Sheffield, S8

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Beauchief and Greenhill

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Greenhill St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Dore

Listing Text

SK 3481 SW SHEFFIELD RENEY AVENUE
(South side), Greenhill
784-1/39/10053
CHURCH OF ST PETER

II


Anglican church. Designed 1963, built 1964-5, consecrated 1966, addition c.1994. By Oxley & Bussey of Sheffield. Peter Sargent architect in charge. General contractors William Drabble & Sons Ltd. Brick, circular plan with central square spire 93ft high clad in Westmorland slate roofs. The circular plan has advanced and recessed sections joined by flat glass walls. Exterior faced in dark brick with flat parapets, projecting porch to north-west, lower day chapel projects to north-east now linked by additional parish room. Glazed wooden entrance screen with double glazed doors. Four large laminated wooden beams rise from around the altar forming the square spire with clear glass clerestory windows. Raised circular altar space with stainless steel and wood communion rail, raised altar of grey Derbyshire marble. Suspended over altar stainless steel cross. Wooden seating in arched sections, raised section to north for choir. Stainless steel and wooden pulpit, bishop's throne, hymn board and hymn book stand. Circular font of grey Derbyshire marble on octagonal base. Glazed walls have rectangular glazing with coloured panes in the form of a cross. Day chapel has completely glazed west wall of colourful abstract design. Included as an early example of liturgical planning, bringing the communicants and celebrant closer together while solving the problems faced by churches which were entirely in the round'. It is a most handsome and lavish church of its date, with fixtures and fittings of exceptional quality and completeness. Sources. The Architect & Building News. June 22, 1966, pp.1117 -1120.


Listing NGR: SK3415681048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SK 3481 SW SHEFFIELD RENEY AVENUE
(South side), Greenhill
784-1/39/10053
CHURCH OF ST PETER

II


Anglican church. Designed 1963, built 1964-5, consecrated 1966, addition c.1994. By Oxley & Bussey of Sheffield. Peter Sargent architect in charge. General contractors William Drabble & Sons Ltd. Brick, circular plan with central square spire 93ft high clad in Westmorland slate roofs. The circular plan has advanced and recessed sections joined by flat glass walls. Exterior faced in dark brick with flat parapets, projecting porch to north-west, lower day chapel projects to north-east now linked by additional parish room. Glazed wooden entrance screen with double glazed doors. Four large laminated wooden beams rise from around the altar forming the square spire with clear glass clerestory windows. Raised circular altar space with stainless steel and wood communion rail, raised altar of grey Derbyshire marble. Suspended over altar stainless steel cross. Wooden seating in arched sections, raised section to north for choir. Stainless steel and wooden pulpit, bishop's throne, hymn board and hymn book stand. Circular font of grey Derbyshire marble on octagonal base. Glazed walls have rectangular glazing with coloured panes in the form of a cross. Day chapel has completely glazed west wall of colourful abstract design. Included as an early example of liturgical planning, bringing the communicants and celebrant closer together while solving the problems faced by churches which were entirely in the round'. It is a most handsome and lavish church of its date, with fixtures and fittings of exceptional quality and completeness. Sources. The Architect & Building News. June 22, 1966, pp.1117 -1120.


Listing NGR: SK3415681048

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.