This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2242 / 52°13'27"N
Longitude: 0.1425 / 0°8'33"E
OS Eastings: 546442
OS Northings: 260611
OS Grid: TL464606
Mapcode National: GBR L74.DW3
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.FC67
Plus Code: 9F4264FV+M2
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 12 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472965
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4
Electoral Ward/Division: East Chesterton
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterton St George
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL46SE CAMBRIDGE CHESTERFIELD ROAD
667/19/10105 Church of St George
Church. 1937-8 by Thomas H. Lyon. Brown brick laid in Eng1ish bond with stone dressings; machine tile roof Nave, aisles, chancel and north-west tower. Basilican plan.
EXTERIOR: gabled west end ]it through one tall metal arched window with a panel transom. Tower recessed to north-west, of tall square section lit through one arched metal window to north and with arched niche to west containing statue of St George over double panelled doors under a flat hood. Recessed belfry stage with one arched louvred opening to each face set in shallow rectangular recesses and framed by clasping corner pilasters. Ogee copper roof with central spike spirelet. Entrance narthex to south west with double panelled doors under flat hood. One 3-light metal casement above.
Aisles with tall metal lancet lights within ashlar reveals (5 to north aisle, 6 to south). East ends of aisles with one circular window. Chancel lit through one tall metal lancet north and south. East window consists of one small1anc:et set high up within a tall arched recess, the recess itself within a tall round-headed projection.
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcades consist of cruciform piers rising to moulded round arcade arches. Incised pier fillets towards nave continue up to moulded string course below ribbed barrel vault. Aisles with transverse round arches on pilasters below flat ceiling cells. South aisle embraces chancel by one bay. Chancel of 2 bays to north, one bay to south. Blank arch to west bay of north chancel wall. Division of chancel and nave marked by pier fillets of heavier section. 2-bay barrel-vaulted chancel ceiling. East end with round-headed wall arch containing tall stone reredos and a small high lancet light.
Panelled stone west gallery. Oak gallery screen of 1994-5: central square-headed lancet, double glazed doors to south and twin glazed panels to north. Panelled square stone font on octagonal stem. pyramid timber font cover. Timber pulpit of square section with chamfered corners on stone plinth.
Listing NGR: TL4644260611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings