This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0694 / 51°4'9"N
Longitude: -1.7961 / 1°47'46"W
OS Eastings: 414380
OS Northings: 130027
OS Grid: SU143300
Mapcode National: GBR 517.W5R
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.62L
Plus Code: 9C3W3693+QG
Entry Name: New Sarum House
Listing Date: 18 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472980
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 1430 SW SALISBURY MARKET SQUARE
676/1/10010 New Sarum House
Commercial chambers. Circa 1900; by Frederick Bath of Salisbury. Red brick, ashlar and timber bay windows. Clay plain tile roof with railings around lead flats. Brick lateral stacks with lozenge-shaped paired flues with cornices and moulded brick shafts.
PLAN: Approximately square on plan, freestanding, except for south side abutting adjacent building. Jacobean/Dutch style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-bay north front, the corners with large ashlar oriel-turrets corbelled out over corner entrances; the doorways have elliptical arches, fanlights and panelled doors, and the turrets above have large round oriels with moulded mullion-transom windows, pilasters, entablature and cornices, the octagonal attics with broken cornices and ogee-shaped lead domes with ball-finials; central ornate timber canted 2-storey oriel with moulded mullion-transom windows, panelled pilasters and open scrolled pediment, pedimental gable above and flanking lateral stacks with paired lozenge-section flues with moulded brick cornices and shafts. Ground floor shop window has stone pilasters, high fascia with moulded cornice and plate-glass windows. Shop window continues on E and W elevations, and each has similar ornate timber oriel, the west on right is canted, the east side has square and canted oriels. The upper lights of the windows have leaded panes and stained glass.
INTERIOR: Doorway on west side leads to staircase with turned wooden balustrade, to chambers.
Listing NGR: SU1438030027
Other nearby listed buildings