This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8802 / 53°52'48"N
Longitude: -1.9276 / 1°55'39"W
OS Eastings: 404856
OS Northings: 442665
OS Grid: SE048426
Mapcode National: GBR GRZK.GT
Mapcode Global: WHB7P.CQBR
Plus Code: 9C5WV3JC+3X
Entry Name: Whinburn Lodge and Attached Stable Block and Coach House
Listing Date: 10 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245704
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471641
Location: Keighley, Bradford, BD20
Civil Parish: Keighley
Built-Up Area: Keighley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Keighley
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 04 SW KEIGHLEY HOLLINS LANE
1772/4/10013 Winburn Lodge and attached
Stable Block and Coach House
Large house with attached stable block. c1890, rebuilt 1912-13 to the designs of Sir John W Simpson and Maxwell O Ayrton of London. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. Raised and coped gables, lead down pipes with ornate rainwater heads and tall plain stone stacks. South-west garden front has 3 storey curved bow window to right, with 3 windows to each floor with 2:3:2 lights and topped with a parapet. To left two 2-light mullion windows to each floor and beyond a tall slightly projecting gable with a 4-centred arched doorway and a single light window, above two 2-light mulion windows and above again a tall 3x4-light cross casement window. Beyond two 2-light mullion windows with a central buttress supporting a curved oriel window above, top floor has a 4-light mullion window. To left a 2 storey wing dominated by a canted bay topped with a moulded cornice and parapet. South-east front has octagonal bay to left with small lancet windows, beyond a tall stack with a single storey hipped roof wing with a single light window. Set back central section has very irregular fenestration with a central sundial in a moulded stone surround. Beyond to right a 2 storey wing with a deep parapet, central canted bay with 3-light and 2-light windows. North-east entrance front is dominated by off-centre square 4 storey tower. This tower has irregular buttresses and two pointed arched openings each with a 3-light mullion window on the ground floor. Above a single cross casement to left, and above again two 2-light mullion windows, top floor has small 3-light mullion window with bracketed sill band to left and projecting lintel band to right. Tower topped with irregular battlements and square corner turrets. To left a 3 storey wing with 4 cross casements under a single hood. Above a continuous row of four 2-light mullion windows with a broad rainwater head to right dated 1913, above again two 3-light mullion windows each under a small gable. Beyond to left a canted square bay with main entrance doorway with moulded 4-centred arched doorway and studded door with ornate iron hinges, above 3-light mullion window. Beyond again a very tall canted bay window to the great hall with 2:3:2 light cross mullion windows 5 lights tall. Similar gabled facade beyond. To the right of the tower a single storey billiard-room with tall pointed gable and a large 3-light mullion and tramsom window. Beyond an attached L-plan stable and coach house with wall and gates enclosing stableyard. The single storey coach house has a broad timber gable over the coach entrance, and the stable wing to right has a through eaves loft doorway in a stone gable. INTERIOR has well preserved Edwardian interiors including original doors and fireplaces. Very impressive great hall with panelling, gallery, stone fireplace and impressive roof with arched braces. Main dog-leg staircase has square newels with decorative finials and turned balusters. Reception rooms have fine imitation C17 plaster ceilings.
Listing NGR: SE0485642665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings