History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gloucester Country Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8345 / 51°50'4"N

Longitude: -2.2207 / 2°13'14"W

OS Eastings: 384889

OS Northings: 215116

OS Grid: SO848151

Mapcode National: GBR 1LD.WYC

Mapcode Global: VH94K.G5C1

Plus Code: 9C3VRQMH+QP

Entry Name: Gloucester Country Club

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 15 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1245729

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472340

Location: Matson and Robinswood, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Matson and Robinswood

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Matson St Katherine

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in



844-1/3/468 (East side)
23/01/52 Gloucester Country Club
(Formerly Listed as:
Larkham Farm House)


Shown on OS map as Larkham Farm.
Farmhouse, now country club and restaurant. c1600 with
addition to front dated 1866, converted to country club with
substantial additions c1974. Timber frame and dressed stone,
tiled roofs, stone stacks with flues set diagonally, C19
addition of brick. Timber-framed range with stone wing, the
C19 addition built into the angle of the range and the wing.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and attic, the timber-framed range has
timber casements, the stone wing has mullioned casements with
eared hoodmoulds, moulded stone cornices to chimney flues; at
rear above the doorway part of the coat of arms of the Duke of
Buckingham moulded in plaster.
INTERIOR: tiled floors; in several rooms reused C18 panelling
taken from the Church of St Katherine, Matson (not included),
prior to rebuilding in C19; open fireplaces.
HISTORY: The Duke of Buckingham was billeted in the farm house
in 1643 while Charles I was at the former Matson House, now
Selwyn School (qv), during the Siege of Gloucester by Royalist

Listing NGR: SO8488915116

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.