History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ladywell Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4562 / 51°27'22"N

Longitude: -0.0192 / 0°1'9"W

OS Eastings: 537716

OS Northings: 174885

OS Grid: TQ377748

Mapcode National: GBR K7.ZTQ

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.MN6J

Entry Name: Ladywell Station

Listing Date: 23 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472055

Location: Lewisham, London, SE13

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywell

Built-Up Area: Lewisham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Lewisham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Catford

Listing Text

TQ 3774 RAILWAY TERRACE

779/18/10108 Ladywell Station

- II


Railway station, with a main (upside) building, a subsidiary (downside) building and a footbridge. 1857, extended c1880, for the South Eastern Railway. Yellow slock brick with rendered dressings and a slate roof. Single storey single depth buildings with platform canopies. The street elevation has six unequal bays of which the left hand two are the extension of c1880. The fourth bay from the left is the entrance door, the others have windows. The openings have moulded architraves, the windows with flat corniced heads, the door with an arched head. Moulded brick quoins to the original build. Parapet with moulded brick string, low pitched hipped slate roof behind and chimney stack at right hand end (it originally had three, one at each end of the ridge of the original building and one to the extension). The platform elevation is similar but with door: window: door:window:window:door :window, again the arched doorway is to the booking hall, the others to waiting rooms. Timber canopy on square timber posts, saw tooth valance, all complete. Covered wrought iron lattice girder footbridge. Shelter on down platform has plain brick walls to the waiting room and a hipped roof. Three bay platform canopy as before. History: Opened in 1857 for the Mid Kent and north west kent Railway, taken over by the South eastern railway in 1864. The building was extended in c1880 and the canopies, footbridge and down platform shelter probably date from then. It is a good example of a South Eastern Railway station of the 1850s which was extended sensitively in c1880 and has been little altered since.


Listing NGR: TQ3771674885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.