This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.444 / 51°26'38"N
Longitude: -0.2393 / 0°14'21"W
OS Eastings: 522462
OS Northings: 173138
OS Grid: TQ224731
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.QD0
Mapcode Global: VHGR3.SYWX
Plus Code: 9C3XCQV6+J7
Entry Name: Grayswood Point
Listing Date: 22 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472031
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW15
Electoral Ward/Division: Roehampton
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Roehampton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 22 73 WANDSWORTH, LB NORLEY VALE
1207/11/10066 Grayswood Point
Point block of 42 flats. 1952-5 by the London County Council Architect' Department Housing Division; Rosemary Stjernstedt Architect in Charge, A W Cleeve Barr and Oliver Cox principal job architects. Ove Arup and Partners engineers. In-situ reinforced concrete frame, clad in grey 'clinker block' brickwork, with some expression of the concrete floors as bands in the composition. Flat roof with projecting service tower expressed as rounded sculptural form. Three flats on ground floor, four on each upper floor (one 1-bedroom and three 2-bedroom units) set in corners of picturesquely asymmetrical plan, with partially projecting balconies at corners. Lift lobby runs through centre of building, with pair of lifts serving alternate floors and two escape staircases, the stairwells once brightly painted. Ground floor partially set back and painted, with storerooms whichretain their original galvanised steel fenestration, as do the staircases. Windows to flats renewed in UPVC-coated aluminium within original openings and to similar pattern (some mullions eliminated). Balconies with original panelled fronts. Each block denoted by different patterned tilework at entrance formed of white and two varieties of black and white speckled tiles to give illusion of contrasting grey and near-black; the pattern at Grayswood Point identical to that at Longmoor Point (q.v.). Original sign made of tiles.
The point blocks at Alton East were the first public housing in Britain to have mechanically ventilated lavatories and bathrooms, and the first high housing to be centrally heated. The interiors of the flats not of special interest save for their plan.
The LCC's earlier experiments with point block design had been too expensive, later variants became more mechanical; these are included as the best examples of their pioneering work in designing clusters of tall flats. The name point block was coined by the Alton East team and is derived from the Swedish 'punkthus', a source of their inspiration. Others were the English housing tradition, which led to their use of brick, respect for earlier LCC work nearby and an interest in what prospective tenants wanted. Alton East is remarkable for its picturesque massing, which maximises its sloping site and the retention and enhancement of Victorian planting from the gardens to villas previously there, by grouping the points at the top fo the rise (where they also shield traffic noise) and setting the contrasting red-brick houses and maisonettes round them. It epitomises the humanist tradition in post-war British architecture.
Listing NGR: TQ2246273138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings