History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Shadwell, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5137 / 51°30'49"N

Longitude: -0.0521 / 0°3'7"W

OS Eastings: 535259

OS Northings: 181213

OS Grid: TQ352812

Mapcode National: GBR J9.9J5

Mapcode Global: VHGR1.16SZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Michael

Listing Date: 1 June 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487566

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Shadwell

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Cable Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Bethnal Green

Listing Text


788/0/10140 COMMERCIAL ROAD
01-JUN-01 340A
Church of St Mary and St Michael

II

Roman Catholic church. 1852-1856 by William Wardell (1823-1899). Kentish rag stone with Bath stone dressings; Welsh slate roof. Eleven bay nave with chancel, side aisles, and side chapel; tower with spire never built. Gothic Revival, Decorated style. Five-light traceried window to (liturgical) west end over arched door, set between buttresses capped with statues of St Mary and St Michael; statue-filled niche above. Cross finials to gable apexes. Three-light Decorated tracery windows to ends of side aisles. Large traceried window to Chancel. Interior not inspected but said to contain numerous fittings of interest. These include: original altar and reredos of 1856 by Boulton & Swales in the side chapel; stained glass by Hardman & Co. of 1856; high altar and reredos of 1911 by R.C. Curtis; alabaster communion rails; statue of St Patrick by Theodore Phyffers, c1856. History: when first built this was the largest Roman Catholic church in the capital. Wardell, its architect, was a pupil of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin: this church embodies the teachings of his master. The chancel was altered in 1898 by F.A. Walter and the church was reordered in 1992 by Gerald Goalen.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.