History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wadhurst Station and Footbridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Wadhurst, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0734 / 51°4'24"N

Longitude: 0.3132 / 0°18'47"E

OS Eastings: 562152

OS Northings: 132996

OS Grid: TQ621329

Mapcode National: GBR NRY.N09

Mapcode Global: FRA C6J8.ZTH

Entry Name: Wadhurst Station and Footbridge

Listing Date: 6 December 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487377

Location: Wadhurst, Wealden, East Sussex, TN5

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Wadhurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Wadhurst St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Wadhurst

Listing Text

WADHURST

TQ 63 SW STATION ROAD
995/15/10063 Wadhurst station and footbridge
06-DEC-00

II

Railway station and footbridge. 1851 for the South Eastern Railway, designed by William Tress; with an addition later in the C19. Red brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. The main buildings are on the downside. Palladian / Italianate style. Two storeys. The road elevation was an originally balanced 1 : 2 : 1 bays, but an additional bay has been added to the left to enlarge the station house. The original design is in Palladian form as used for
country houses by Sir Robert Taylor with a two storey centre set forward with a pedimented roofline and single storey wings with supporting half pediments, the centre thus rises through one broken pediment to carry another whole one. Here the centre has a stone plinth and quoins, and two arched windows with rendered dressings to each floor, 2 over 2 pane sashes. Blue brick band to first floor which goes right round the building. Pediment with timber mouldings. On the
side of this central section is a porch with lean-to roof forming a half pediment, the archways with stone imposts. The right hand porch is the entrance to the booking office, the left hand one to the station-master's house. Above and behind is another small arched window. Extension of one bay to the left, the ground floor projects forward, the features are repeated to match. Hipped roof with four tall stacks, the pots have been removed. The gable walls are blind, small single storey hipped roof extension on north gable. The platform elevation is similar but with simplified treatment, 1 : 1 : 2 bays. The ground floor has three arched windows, the central one with arched sidelights and two arched doors. Four windows above, on of which is taller. Small bargeboarded gable to centre.
Interior not inspected.
Upside platform building. Late C19. Red brick. Rectangular waiting room with central door and two windows either side, plain 2 over 2 pane sashes. Continuous fretted backward sloping canopy. Standard SER footbridge with four cast iron columns in a square supporting either end of a wrought iron lattice girder bridge and staircases. This type of standard footbridge dates from the end of the C19 and will be contemporary with the platform shelter.
History: This line was opened by the South Eastern Railway in 1851, engineer Peter W.Barlow. Dendy Marshall states that all SER lines were built double bar two. This line has later buildings on the subsidiary platforms at all stations which might suggest otherwise, but increased concern about passenger safety led to footbridges being provided later in the C19 to prevent them from crossing the tracks. It was presumably customary for passengers to wait in the main building
until the train's arrival was imminent.
References: Andrew Knight, The Railways of South East England, Ian Allan, 1986, p 59.
C.F.Dendy Marshall, The History of the Southern Railway, revised ed. Ian Allan, 1963, p 323.


Listing NGR: TQ6215232996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

WADHURST

TQ 63 SW STATION ROAD
995/15/10063 Wadhurst station and footbridge
06-DEC-00

II

Railway station and footbridge. 1851 for the South Eastern Railway, designed by William Tress; with an addition later in the C19. Red brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. The main buildings are on the downside. Palladian / Italianate style. Two storeys. The road elevation was an originally balanced 1 : 2 : 1 bays, but an additional bay has been added to the left to enlarge the station house. The original design is in Palladian form as used for
country houses by Sir Robert Taylor with a two storey centre set forward with a pedimented roofline and single storey wings with supporting half pediments, the centre thus rises through one broken pediment to carry another whole one. Here the centre has a stone plinth and quoins, and two arched windows with rendered dressings to each floor, 2 over 2 pane sashes. Blue brick band to first floor which goes right round the building. Pediment with timber mouldings. On the
side of this central section is a porch with lean-to roof forming a half pediment, the archways with stone imposts. The right hand porch is the entrance to the booking office, the left hand one to the station-master's house. Above and behind is another small arched window. Extension of one bay to the left, the ground floor projects forward, the features are repeated to match. Hipped roof with four tall stacks, the pots have been removed. The gable walls are blind, small single storey hipped roof extension on north gable. The platform elevation is similar but with simplified treatment, 1 : 1 : 2 bays. The ground floor has three arched windows, the central one with arched sidelights and two arched doors. Four windows above, on of which is taller. Small bargeboarded gable to centre.
Interior not inspected.
Upside platform building. Late C19. Red brick. Rectangular waiting room with central door and two windows either side, plain 2 over 2 pane sashes. Continuous fretted backward sloping canopy. Standard SER footbridge with four cast iron columns in a square supporting either end of a wrought iron lattice girder bridge and staircases. This type of standard footbridge dates from the end of the C19 and will be contemporary with the platform shelter.
History: This line was opened by the South Eastern Railway in 1851, engineer Peter W.Barlow. Dendy Marshall states that all SER lines were built double bar two. This line has later buildings on the subsidiary platforms at all stations which might suggest otherwise, but increased concern about passenger safety led to footbridges being provided later in the C19 to prevent them from crossing the tracks. It was presumably customary for passengers to wait in the main building
until the train's arrival was imminent.
References: Andrew Knight, The Railways of South East England, Ian Allan, 1986, p 59.
C.F.Dendy Marshall, The History of the Southern Railway, revised ed. Ian Allan, 1963, p 323.


Listing NGR: TQ6215232996

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.