History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wycombe Abbey Former Gates and Railings from Cumberland House and Buckingham House

A Grade II Listed Building in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6251 / 51°37'30"N

Longitude: -0.7472 / 0°44'49"W

OS Eastings: 486819

OS Northings: 192555

OS Grid: SU868925

Mapcode National: GBR D5B.3WS

Mapcode Global: VHDW5.0FB0

Plus Code: 9C3XJ7G3+34

Entry Name: Wycombe Abbey Former Gates and Railings from Cumberland House and Buckingham House

Listing Date: 31 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454732

Location: Abbey, Buckinghamshire, HP11

County: Buckinghamshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey

Built-Up Area: High Wycombe

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: High Wycombe All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
High Wycombe


1/10001 Wycombe Abbey
Former gates and railings
from Cumberland House
and Buckingham House


Railings, gatepiers and gates. 1780s, 1790s and mid C19, salvaged from houses occupied by the old War Office when in Pall Mall, London. Centre sections salvaged from Cumberland House, nos 85-87 Pall Mall, part Robert Adam's remodelling in the 1780s, gates and piers mid C19. Outer sections salvaged from Buckingham House, no 91 Pall Mall, Sir John Soane's remodelling of 1792-95. These were purchased by Lord Carrington 1908-9 and first erected as entrance gates and screen to Daws Hill House drive from High Wycombe. It was moved 25 metres south to its present location in 1924. Cast and wrought iron. on stone plinths. Its total length is 50 metres, of which 23 metres is from Buckingham House. Centre Sections (former forecourt screen to Cumberland House) comprise four gatepiers with former lamp supports, hollow piers with scrollwork, and four intermediate standards with urn finials with wrought iron decoration by Robert Adam. The central gates were removed for scrap during World War II. The mid C19 phase comprises two of the four carriage gates incorporated [non-opening] with alternating pointed and open fleur-de-lys finials. Main railing stretches with spear head finials and panels to base of railings. The outer sections (former area railings to Buckingham House of the 1790s) comprise spear head railings with three area gates incorporated [non-opening]. Seven decorative panels survive with three oval paterae within wrought iron lozenges. At the far left is a tall wrought iron panelled standard, provenance unknown.
[See "Survey of London" Vols 29,30 pp. 360-367. Illustrated in Plates 204,209, 224 and 225. Athlone Press 1960.]

Listing NGR: SU8681992555

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.