History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Miles Platting and Newton Heath, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5001 / 53°30'0"N

Longitude: -2.1777 / 2°10'39"W

OS Eastings: 388310

OS Northings: 400394

OS Grid: SD883003

Mapcode National: GBR FW7Z.B1

Mapcode Global: WHB9H.J972

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454821

Location: Manchester, M40

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Miles Platting and Newton Heath

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Newton Heath

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Manchester

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SD80SE OLD CHURCH STREET, Newton Heath
698-1/3/764 (East side)
03/10/74 Church of All Saints

GV II

Church. 1814-15, enlarged 1844 and chancel added 1880.
Sandstone ashlar (roof concealed). Gothick style. Nave with
north and south aisles, west tower flanked by stair-turrets,
chancel. The tower, divided into 2 stages by a mid-level band
of blank arcading, has polygonal corner turrets with embattled
tops and an embattled parapet; a moulded 2-centred arched west
doorway with hoodmould and recessed door, a 2-centred arched
2-light west window with tracery, and at the upper level a
small square-headed belfry window in each side with 2 arched
louvred lights and a clockface immediately above with
drip-band arched over. The flanking stair-turrets are
2-storeyed with chamfered corners, 1st floor bands, embattled
parapets, and 2 traceried single-light windows to the upper
level. The side walls are buttressed and have 2 tiers of
4-centred arched 2-light windows, those in the upper tier
taller, all with hoodmoulds. Chancel has 5-light east window
with transom and Perpendicular tracery. Interior: narthex
(enlarged in 1960s); galleries on 3 sides carried on cast-iron
columns (north and south galleries shortened at east end).


Listing NGR: SD8831000394

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.