This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.942 / 52°56'31"N
Longitude: -1.1422 / 1°8'31"W
OS Eastings: 457741
OS Northings: 338634
OS Grid: SK577386
Mapcode National: GBR LQT.VH
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.F9BY
Plus Code: 9C4WWVR5+R4
Entry Name: Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246319
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454764
Location: Nottingham, NG2
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5738NE ARKWRIGHT STREET
646-1/25/13 (North East side)
Church of St Saviour
Parish church. 1863-64. By RC Sutton of Nottingham. Spire
rebuilt, 1955. Rockfaced stone with ashlar dressings and slate
roofs. Gothic Revival Style.
PLAN: chancel, vestry, nave with aisles, south-west tower and
EXTERIOR: plinth, string course, buttresses, coped gables.
Pointed arched windows, mainly 2-lights, with geometrical
tracery. Chancel, single bay, has a 5-light east window, and a
single window each side. Vestry, to north-east, has a single
Nave clerestory has on each side 10 round windows in spherical
triangles. West end has 2 windows, with a central round window
above. Aisles have 4 windows and single windows in west ends.
North aisle has to west a pointed arched doorway under a coped
gable. South-west tower, 3 stages, has a slated broach spire
with a tier of lucarnes. To west, a pointed arched recess
under a gable, containing a pair of doors with a central
shaft, and above them, a traceried round window. Bell stage
has quoins. On each side, 2 segment-arched recesses with
single pointed arched bell openings.
INTERIOR: chancel has moulded arch with blue brick band and
hood mould, and responds. Arch braced roof on corbels. East
end has traceried panelling and reredos, 1913, and stained
glass window, 1904. North side has arch with organ case, south
side has doorway. Nave has 5 bay arcades with round piers and
chamfered arches with polychrome brick bands and hood moulds.
Hammer beam roof with shaft corbels. Blind arcade at west end,
with commandment boards. Aisles have lean-to roofs, pointed
arches at east end, doors to west, and patterned stained glass
windows, 1896. South-east window c1864.
Fittings include original stalls, desks, benches, communion
rail, round ashlar pulpit and octagonal font with spire cover.
Brass eagle lectern, 1880. Memorials include 3-panel alabaster
war memorial, 1921.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 247; St Saviours centenary booklet: Rev. RG Hoye:
Listing NGR: SK5774138634
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings