This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1166 / 50°6'59"N
Longitude: -5.5372 / 5°32'13"W
OS Eastings: 147232
OS Northings: 30044
OS Grid: SW472300
Mapcode National: GBR DXQC.LH0
Mapcode Global: VH05H.ZB2H
Plus Code: 9C2P4F87+J4
Entry Name: Fountain and Pond Walls
Listing Date: 23 April 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246338
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487329
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Penzance
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Penzance St Mary the Virgin with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW4730 MORRAB GARDENS
866/5/10017 Fountain and pond walls
Fountain. Circa late C19. Cast-iron. In form of a large pedestal, the base of which has relief friezes with scallop shells, starfish and festoons of sea shells, above which there are dolphins at the corners and cherubs between riding turtles spouting fountains of water; the large gadrooned basin above has a pedestal rising from its centre supporting another smaller basin surmounted by a globe on which there is an otter holding a fish in its mouth. The fountain stands in a shallow pond surrounded by a low wall of small granite boulders.
Morrab Gardens [on Register of Parks and Gardens] were created in the former grounds of Morrab House [listed grade II], after a competition to design public gardens, held by Penzance Corporation and won by Reginald Upcher of London in 1889.
Listing NGR: SW4723330045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings