This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4657 / 51°27'56"N
Longitude: 0.0125 / 0°0'44"E
OS Eastings: 539889
OS Northings: 176006
OS Grid: TQ398760
Mapcode National: GBR LX.7V9
Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.5FG6
Plus Code: 9F32F286+7X
Entry Name: Blackheath Art Club
Listing Date: 25 April 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487333
Location: Greenwich, London, SE3
Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath Westcombe
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Blackheath Park St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3975 BENNETT PARK
Blackheath Art Club
Artists' studios, now flats. 1885-6 with 1891 Annexe. John C P Higgs and Frank Rudkin, architects. Red Brick with roughcast and hung tile to one gable. Arts and Crafts style of one main range. Separate Annexe to right in warehouse style.
FACADE Two storeys plus attic. Two main entrances at centre. Facade reads of 4 parts: hipped gable section to left with symmetrically arranged segmental-arch windows, extra large at ground floor to accommodate exhibition room; connecting section with band of leaded lights at first floor in roughcast; gabled section in roughcast with large Renaissance-style window dropping into brick ground floor; end section with ogee-headed lights at ground-floor, roughcast first-floor with cross-windows and attic dormer. Tile-hung gable to side elevation. Rear elevation (now facing retaining wall) with large windows to studio space. Separate plainer Annexe of three stories with large windows and buttresses.
INTERIOR Two sections of one range no longer communicating, each with main entrance. Left section of building opens into small tiled hall. Exhibition hall at ground floor (now flat). Stairs to artist's flat (now flat) above. Right section of building steps up into bottle-glass entrance porch. Central tiled hall with fireplace, half-height panelling and frieze. Wide staircase to first floor studios (now flats). Pointed-arch entryway to studio (now flat) at ground and first floors. Doors (now blind) to men's lavatories (gone) and left range. Interiors of flats not inspected.
HISTORY Built as artists' studios and exhibition space for the 1883-founded Blackheath Art Society. Used 1933-1943 as headquarters and studio for the GPO film unit. Given English Heritage Blue Plaque in 2000.
SOURCES Rhind, Neil. Blackheath Village and Environs 1790-1990 Volume 1: The Village and Blackheath Vale.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings