This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5231 / 51°31'23"N
Longitude: 0.0239 / 0°1'25"E
OS Eastings: 540504
OS Northings: 182410
OS Grid: TQ405824
Mapcode National: GBR LS.QPQ
Mapcode Global: VHHNB.CZG7
Plus Code: 9F32G2FF+7G
Entry Name: Memorial Baptist Church
Listing Date: 3 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487167
Location: Canning Town, Newham, London, E13
Electoral Ward/Division: Canning Town South
Built-Up Area: Newham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Plaistow and North Canning TownThe Divine Compassion
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 48 SW
Memorial Baptist Church
Baptist Church. 1921-2 by William Hayne. Gault brick with red brick east front with stone and marble dressings and details; slate roofs. Byzantine style.
PLAN: open basilican plan with aisles and apse; liturgical east and west reversed.
EXTERIOR: east front with 5-stage square-section corner towers right and left. Each tower with polygonal angles rising to polygonal turrets framing octagonal drum and dome. Entrances to towers with round-arched marble door surrounds with square heads, each with a rectangular light in soffit. Round-headed window in second stage; banding between stages. Round-headed window in fourth stage below blind arcading and the drum of the dome with square pierced panel.
3-bay, 3-stage centrepiece consists of gabled centre with a wide arched marble door surround: triple order, with bulbous columns terminating in Byzantine capitals. Doorway architrave on twin central columns. Wide radially-glazed arched overlight. Doors replaced with plate glass. 3 arched windows to second stage flanked by single windows in bays right and left. Gabled head with 5-light Diocletian window. Polygonal turrets right and left. Side bays with pierced square panels to parapet.
2-storey north and south returns lit through segmental windows to ground floor and arched first-floor windows. Elevations punctuated by polygonal red-brick turrets and stock-brick pilasters. North return with square-headed doorway.
INTERIOR: sanctuary with deeply coffered ceiling, of geometrical pattern ribbing radiating from central oculus and with principal octagonal framing. Projector opening to west.
Aisles closed 1977 with solid walls underbuilding original 3-sided gallery, creating meeting room at east end, with kitchen to the south. Panelled gallery balustrade remains.
Western apse with wide semi-circular arch towards sanctuary. Total-immersion font under floor. Apse walls with open arched arcading at upper level standing on panelled solid balustrade and with rear wall pierced by 2 transomed windows.
3-sided timber pulpit to north of apse, with panelling and vitruvian scroll decoration. Organ case opposite, of 1924 by Spurden Rutt & Co. Ltd. Of Leyton.
Other nearby listed buildings