This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3858 / 53°23'8"N
Longitude: -1.4638 / 1°27'49"W
OS Eastings: 435759
OS Northings: 387793
OS Grid: SK357877
Mapcode National: GBR 9JJ.P2
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.H557
Entry Name: Royal Exchange Buildings and Adjoining Castle House
Listing Date: 4 August 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455290
Location: Sheffield, S3
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pitsmoor Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587NE LADY'S BRIDGE
784-1/20/458 (South East side)
04/08/92 Royal Exchange Buildings and
adjoining Castle House
Development incorporating flats, shops, veterinary surgery and
dogs' home, now shops and flats. By John Henry Bryars. Dated
1900, with late C20 alterations. Brown glazed brick, with
ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: Royal Exchange Buildings, comprising shops and
flats, has moulded sillbands, octagonal corner buttresses, and
mansard roof with 7 coped brick stacks on the front wall. 4
storeys plus attics; 14 window range. 7 bays divided by canted
pilasters, with crowstep gables and finials to the central and
outer bays. Windows are mainly plain sashes, some of them
boarded. First and second floors have 14 windows. Third floor
has central gable with moulded oval window, flanked by 4 box
dormers. Beyond, the end bays have 2 windows. Attic has 5 box
dormers. Ground floor has 7 shopfronts divided by glazed brick
pilasters, under a continuous cornice. To left, a largely
unaltered shopfront with segment-headed opening containing
shop window to left and recessed door with overlight to right.
Other shopfronts are boarded or reglazed.
Right return has central buttress topped with finial in
crowstep gable. 2 windows on the upper floors, and on the
ground floor, a pair of large altered openings. Rear has to
left a stair tower with steep pitched swept roof and finials,
with access bridges and balconies to each floor.
To right, a link building, 3 storeys plus attics; 2 window
range. 2 gable stacks. On the upper floors, 2 windows, and
above, 2 through-eaves dormers with crowstep gables. Ground
floor has a cart entrance with segment-arched double doors.
Castle House, to rear, has a continuous basement with windows,
carrying the building and the access road, with a cast-iron
balustrade and wrought-iron gateway with overthrow
incorporating Bryars' monogram. The access road links Lady's
Bridge with Blonk Street. Sillbands, main cornice, crenellated
coped parapet and gables. 3 storeys plus basement and garret;
12 window range. Bays are divided by canted pilasters.
River front has 12 windows to each of the upper floors. Ground
floor has 4 large openings, now blocked, to the access road,
with shouldered heads and steel lintels. Angled left corner,
above the access road, has 2 windows on each of the upper
floors, and a shouldered opening below.
Left return has regular fenestration with a Venetian window
and hoist in the gable.
INTERIOR not inspected.
This building is complementary to Royal Victoria Buildings
(qv) on the opposite side of the road, and forms part of the
same scheme of development.
(Deposited Plan, 1899).
Listing NGR: SK3575987793
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings