This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3823 / 53°22'56"N
Longitude: -1.4713 / 1°28'16"W
OS Eastings: 435262
OS Northings: 387405
OS Grid: SK352874
Mapcode National: GBR 9HK.2B
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.C7LW
Plus Code: 9C5W9GJH+WF
Entry Name: Leopold Chambers
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455346
Location: City, Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SW LEOPOLD STREET
784-1/24/475 (North East side)
Nos.1, 3 AND 5
Includes: Nos.47 AND 49 Leopold Chambers CHURCH STREET.
Commercial building, now offices and shops. 1894, with mid and
late C20 alterations. By Holmes & Watson. For Webster &
Styring, solicitors. Ashlar with slate roof. 2 gable and 3
ridge coped ashlar stacks. Flemish Renaissance Revival style.
Incomplete plinth, string courses and sillbands, coped
parapet. 3 storeys plus attics; 6 window range. Curved front
on corner site. Windows are stone mullioned cross casements.
Regular fenestration with 3 bays having canted 2 storey oriel
windows topped with balconies, each bay culminating in a
dormer with shouldered shaped gable and finial. On each floor,
a 3-light window. 2 intermediate bays have a 4-light window on
each floor, flanked by pilasters, and a smaller shaped gable
to the dormer. Right hand entrance bay has a tall first floor
window, 3 lights, with double transoms, and above, a 3-light
window on each floor. Below, ashlar doorcase with paired Doric
columns on pedestals, and entablature with frieze inscribed
"Leopold Chambers". Panelled double doors.
Ground floor has continuous late C20 shopfronts with ashlar
INTERIOR not inspected.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3526287405
Other nearby listed buildings