History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6011 / 52°36'4"N

Longitude: 1.7358 / 1°44'8"E

OS Eastings: 653070

OS Northings: 306925

OS Grid: TG530069

Mapcode National: GBR YQZ.TZF

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.MWR9

Plus Code: 9F43JP2P+C8

Entry Name: Royal Hotel

Listing Date: 5 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468539

Location: Nelson, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


839-1/20/91 (West side)
05/08/74 No.4
Royal Hotel


Hotel. Opened in 1840, facade and large rear extensions 1877
by JB Pearce. Stuccoed red brick. Slate roof.
EXTERIOR: facade in 4 storeys. Five 3-storey canted window
bays and an additional bay to right. French doors to ground
floor. In centre is a rusticated square entrance porch with a
pulvinated frieze and a plain cornice. First-floor bay windows
with cast-iron balcony railings on scrolled and pierced
brackets. French windows. Second and third floors with
replaced sashes without glazing bars. Entrance bay with a
crowning achievement. Modillion eaves cornice below a hipped
roof. Stacks on rear and side slopes. Rear wing extends west
along Waterloo Road. 6 full-height canted bays and a
rusticated central entrance, now blocked. 2/2 ground-floor
unhorned sashes, but all above are late C20 windows.
INTERIOR: large internal courtyard created when rear ranges
added, absorbing a formerly external winter garden. Of this
the cast-iron columns with pierced spandrels remain abutting
the former rear wall of the 1840 building, all now internal.
Open-well staircase with turned balusters and newels. Ball
HISTORICAL NOTE: Charles Dickens stayed here 1848-9 while
writing David Copperfield and met James Sharman (the keeper of
the Nelson's Column) on whom he supposedly based the character
of Ham Peggotty.

Listing NGR: TG5307006925

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.