This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2506 / 52°15'2"N
Longitude: 0.8079 / 0°48'28"E
OS Eastings: 591767
OS Northings: 265098
OS Grid: TL917650
Mapcode National: GBR RG8.T88
Mapcode Global: VHKD5.YPGJ
Entry Name: Fox and Hounds Public House
Listing Date: 2 April 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246634
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487071
Location: Thurston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Thurston
Built-Up Area: Thurston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Thurston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1229/0/10009 STATION ROAD
02-APR-01 Fox and Hounds Public House
Public House. c.1846. Gault brick with red brick dressings to main range. Red brick, part whitewashed, to rear. Slate roof with stacks to left end, main range rear and rear wing ridge. These have gault brick bases and elaborate ornamental red brick single, double and triple flues. The building is in Tudor style. Two storeys. 3-window range at first floor of 2-light casements with hood moulds. To ground floor 3 Tudor-arched 8/8 sashes under hood moulds with recessed spandrels. Central slightly projecting porch has double-leaved part-glazed door under basket-arched overlight. Decorative corbel table above which reflects the more elaborate one to the main eaves cornice of the front. On right end is a similar 8/8 sash to each floor under decorative gable barge boards. On left end a 3/6 sash either side the projecting stack over a part-glazed door and 6/6 sash. Hood-moulds to all. To this side the rear wing has 2 8/8 sashes with hood moulds and a 4/8 sash over with door to far end. A 2-light casement to lower far wing which has a pantile roof. To rear of main range a lower outshut with sashes, and a C20 single storey extension. Casements and door to the wing, the lower part of which has a blocked cart entrance with Tudor-arched head. This finely detailed public house was probably built at the same time as the former station (qv), 1846, and was certainly in existence by the end of the decade (Thurston History Group publication).
Listing NGR: TL9176365093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings