This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2222 / 51°13'19"N
Longitude: -0.4663 / 0°27'58"W
OS Eastings: 507197
OS Northings: 148119
OS Grid: TQ071481
Mapcode National: GBR GF6.8X2
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.VJTX
Plus Code: 9C3X6GCM+VF
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 8 March 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486970
Location: Shere, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Shere
Built-Up Area: Shere
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shere
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04 NE UPPER STREET
431/5/10024 The Manor House
House, now subdivided. Built in 1844 by George Basevi (1794-1845) in Tudor style for the Bray family, descendants of Reginald Bray Lord Chancellor of England under Henry VII. There is an extension of c1885 in matching style. The original part of the building is of local Hurtwood stone with galleting and tiled roof with seven rendered chimneystacks. Two storeys and attics, three windows to west part. Mainly casement windows with hood moulding. The symmetrical north or entrance front has a projecting central two storey porch with gable with kneelers and blank shield, oriel window and arched doorcase. Of the two triple arched windows with hood-moulding the right side one is blank. The south elevation has slightly projecting end wings with pointed casements to the upper floors and canted bays with verticals only to the ground floor windows. Central arched entrance with french window. The west elevation has a projecting bay to the left and a gabled porch to the right. To the east is a large service wing with three gables with triple arched casements. North side has an oriel window and curved corner facing former stables and coachhouse. This wing is taller to the east because of the sloping ground and has sash windows to the east. Most windows are intact and retain shutters to the interior. The 1880s extension is of two storeys random rubble in local stone with oriel window to east.
INTERIOR: The Drawing Room has a fine marble fireplace with trefoliated spandrels and panels, cornice with floral moulding and arched opening with moulded cornice to the north. There is a large well staircase with two turned balusters to each step and column newel post, dado panelling to staircase and hall (probably of the 1880s) and door shutters. The former Dining Room has a black marble fireplace with four-centred arch and pilasters. Bedroom has wooden surround and cast iron firegrate. Original four-panelled doors. The service wing retains a service staircase with stick balusters and panelled base, a wooden dumb waiter, wine cellar with brick bins, some bedrooms with built-in cupboards and barrel-vaulted basements. 1885 wing has room with two octagonal wooden columns and fireplace with four-centred arch and slate surround.
[Pevsner "Buildings of England" Surrey p457.]
Listing NGR: TQ0720548120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings