This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3257 / 53°19'32"N
Longitude: -1.5396 / 1°32'22"W
OS Eastings: 430762
OS Northings: 381071
OS Grid: SK307810
Mapcode National: GBR KYPZ.GK
Mapcode Global: WHCCQ.BN3T
Plus Code: 9C5W8FG6+75
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456242
Location: Dore and Totley, Sheffield, S17
Electoral Ward/Division: Dore and Totley
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Dore Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3081SE CHURCH LANE, Dore
784-1/38/804 (East side)
28/06/73 Christ Church
Parish church. 1828, by Richard Furness. Choir vestry 1879.
Chancel 1895, by John Dodsley Webster. Coursed squared stone
and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and stone slate and Welsh
slate roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel, vestries, nave, west tower, north porch.
EXTERIOR: quoins, diagonal buttresses topped with pinnacles.
2 bay chancel has sillband. East end has a 4-light panel
tracery window. To north, 2 single lancets. South-east vestry
has a canted corner with door and to east, a 3-light mullioned
window. To south, single and 2-light mullioned windows.
Crenellated south-west vestry has a pointed door to west and a
triangular headed 2-light window to south. Aisleless nave has
to west a single lancet and to east, two 2-light pointed arch
windows. North side has 2 similar windows flanked by single
lancets, and single lancet in east end. West end has on each
side a 2-light pointed arch window. West tower, 3 stages, has
string courses and crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed
pinnacles. First stage has, to west, a paired lancet with
triangular heads. Second stage has a blank clock dial to west
and a triangular headed window to south. Bell stage has a
double lancet opening on each side, with hoodmoulds. Above the
north and south ones, a clock.
Crenellated north porch has a double chamfered doorway with
bracket lamp above it.
INTERIOR has double chamfered chancel arch with shaft imposts
and Decorated style wooden screen, 1913, and to its right a
recess containing organ pipes. Chancel has arch braced king
post roof, and door to south. Nave has strutted queen post
roof and double doors at west end. North porch has double
chamfered doorway and 4 octagonal cast-iron posts.
FITTINGS include Decorated style wooden reredos and altar,
1933, and brass tripod lectern, 1876. C19 octagonal ashlar
pulpit and font, traceried stalls and cross frame benches. 7
stained glass windows, mid and late C19, east window 1903, 2
Memorials include brass and wood war memorial plaque c1920.
(Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3076281071
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings