This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4395 / 51°26'22"N
Longitude: -2.0062 / 2°0'22"W
OS Eastings: 399666
OS Northings: 171170
OS Grid: ST996711
Mapcode National: GBR 2SV.PM8
Mapcode Global: VHB42.52RS
Plus Code: 9C3VCXQV+RG
Entry Name: St Cecilia's
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Last Amended: 22 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456340
Location: Calne, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Calne
Built-Up Area: Calne
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Calne and Blackland St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST9971 CURZON STREET
755-1/4/48 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Nos.5 AND 7 CURZON STREET.
Pair of attached houses, with left-hand house, now all one
school building. Dated 1743; extended early C19, including
early-mid C19 left-hand house. Red brick with darker brick
surrounds, rubbed brick dressings and limestone ashlar,
sandstone flagged terrace, slate hipped roof and lateral and
gable stacks. Double-depth plan, with early C19 extended
projecting wings flanking raised platform.
2 storeys, attic and cellar; 2:7-window range. A wide
symmetrical front has projecting early C19 single-window
ashlar wings connected by a raised terrace, rusticated ashlar
central section, cornice and parapet. Doorways with
architraves set 1-window in from the ends of the central
range, with broken pediments with balls on console brackets,
6-panel doors, the right-hand one with a good octagonal
lantern in the overlight.
The central brick range has cill bands and a first-floor drip
course, panelled aprons, and windows with plat band and
cornice with different moulding, keyed architraves, segmental
heads and horned 6/6-pane sashes; wings have horned recessed
6/6-pane sashes, with a right-hand first-floor 15/15-pane
sash. Steps up through the terrace to the doorways, low
terrace cellar windows; former railings removed. Good original
downpipe and hopper dated 1743. Left-hand 2-window house has a
right-hand door and horned 6/6-pane sash. Right-hand return
has a second-floor cross window.
Rear elevation, rebuilt c1840 in Domestic Tudor style, has a
central projecting gable with a full-height 5-light canted
bay, and cross windows with labels.
INTERIOR: altered mid C19; details include an axial passage
with semicircular arches, a right-hand stair hall with timber
open-well stair, curtail and late C19 wrought-iron railings;
front room with C17 oak linenfold panelling and boxed cornice,
cast-iron hob grate and stone surround; vaulted cellars.
The mid C18 house is a good example of an early semi-detached
That part formerly listed as No.9 Curzon Street was listed on
Listing NGR: ST9964471168
Other nearby listed buildings