History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ancoats and Clayton, Manchester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4832 / 53°28'59"N

Longitude: -2.2279 / 2°13'40"W

OS Eastings: 384975

OS Northings: 398526

OS Grid: SJ849985

Mapcode National: GBR DNG.8C

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.RQ91

Entry Name: Royal Mill

Listing Date: 11 November 1988

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247474

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456965

Location: Manchester, M4

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Ancoats and Clayton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Manchester Church of the Apostles

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Manchester

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8498 REDHILL STREET, Ancoats
698-1/17/462 (North West side)
11/11/88 Royal Mill
(Formerly Listed as:
HENRY STREET, Ancoats
(North East side)
Royal Mill)

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill, now clothing works. Dated 1912, and
built to use mains electricity. Red brick with terracotta and
stone dressings, with cast iron, steel and concrete internal
structure. Distinctive baroque detailing. 6 storeys, 10x3
bays, with external stair-tower at NW corner, surmounted by
dome, with electric motors housed in towers projecting from E
wall. 7 storey entrance block to Redhill Street elevation,
built over courtyard entrance and linking Royal Mill with the
earlier Sedgwick Mills (qv). This has large segmental archway
with cast iron surround. Office to right of entrance, with
segmental doorway. Narrow advanced privy turret to left of
entrance, with pairs of narrow windows to all floors, and
cornice and segmental pedimented parapet. Water tower set back
behind entrance block. Wide segmentally arched windows in each
bay of main body of mill, which is enriched with banded and
panelled corner pilasters, and heavy stone band above 3rd
floor windows.
The mill forms part of the McConnell Kennedy works, together
with the earlier Sedgwick Mills and Paragaon Mill (qv). A
further mill (Long Mill) is no longer extant. A stone over the
entrance records that the mill replaced an earlier building on
the site, originally built in 1797.
Included as an early example of a mill designed to use mains
electricity from the outset, which forms an important part of
the McConnell Kennedy works.


Listing NGR: SJ8497598526

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.