History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elberton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherwood, Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9834 / 52°59'0"N

Longitude: -1.148 / 1°8'52"W

OS Eastings: 457300

OS Northings: 343236

OS Grid: SK573432

Mapcode National: GBR LPB.LN

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.B8LP

Entry Name: Elberton House

Listing Date: 20 December 1984

Last Amended: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457226

Location: Nottingham, NG5

County: Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Sherwood

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Sherwood

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE HARDWICK ROAD
646-1/4/244 (South side)
20/12/84 No.9
Elberton House
(Formerly Listed as:
HARDWICK ROAD
No.9
Albert House)

II

Includes: No.3 HARTINGTON ROAD.
House, now flats. 1889-90, extended 1911. By Watson Fothergill
of Nottingham for Mr Galimore. Red brick, with ashlar and blue
brick dressings and half-hipped plain tile roof. Single ridge
and 2 gable decorative brick stacks. Chamfered plinth, blue
brick bands, moulded ashlar first floor sill band.
2 storeys plus attics; 3 window range. Windows are mainly
plain sashes and cross framed casements.
Entrance front, to east, has a central segment-arched opening
with polychromatic voussoirs to a recessed porch with
half-glazed door. To right, a canted wooden bay window, 4
lights, with lean-to roof on decorative wooden brackets. To
left a single sash, and above, a similar sash. To right a
segment-arched cross casement.
To left, a projecting octagonal corner tower, 4 lights, 2
stages, with octagonal spire roof and finial. Ground floor has
plain sashes under a tiled hood. Above, cross casements.
Left return, to south, has to left a hipped, square bay
window, 3 lights, and above it, a cross casement. Above again,
a tile hung gable with a half-hipped dormer, 3 lights. To
left, single storeys additions, 3:1 windows.
Right return, to north, has a segment-arched recess between
external stacks, and above it a canted oriel window, 4 lights.
Side window lintel dated 1890.
(Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson Fothergill,
Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 15).


Listing NGR: SK5730043236

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.