This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9083 / 52°54'29"N
Longitude: -1.198 / 1°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 454034
OS Northings: 334842
OS Grid: SK540348
Mapcode National: GBR 8J2.PXZ
Mapcode Global: WHDH4.K5R8
Plus Code: 9C4WWR52+8R
Entry Name: Clifton Hall
Listing Date: 14 April 1954
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457260
Location: Clifton, Nottingham, NG11
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton South
Built-Up Area: Clifton (City of Nottingham)
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton Team
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53SW HOLGATE, Clifton
646-1/9/281 Clifton Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Country house, now university offices. Late C16, altered
c1632, probably by John Smythson. Internal alterations late
C17, and c1731-62, probably with the assistance of Lord
Burlington. Remodelled c1779 by John Carr of York. Further
alterations C19. Converted 1953. Brick and ashlar with hipped
stone slate roofs. Various coped stacks, mostly on side walls.
EXTERIOR: main ranges have plinth, first floor band and
pierced balustrade. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes with
projecting ashlar surrounds, the second floor windows are
3 storeys; 15 x 5 bays. C-plan. Symmetrical fronts to an
irregular interior, with central octagonal hall flanked to
left by a first floor Great Chamber. Square wings, the
principal rooms to left, service rooms to right.
Entrance front, to south, has a recessed centre, 5 windows,
flanked by wings of the same size, linked across the centre by
a single storey colonnade of paired Tuscan columns. Several
false windows in the centre, which screens the central hall.
Under the colonnade, an off-centre door, and at each end,
round-arched doors. Wings have similar fenestration, with
unequal spacing to left.
West front, by Carr, ashlar, has a central bow window, 3
storeys, with round-arched windows to the ground floor, and
reglazed first floor windows. Side bays have blank ground
floor, and single windows above.
North front has 7 windows, unequally spaced and some false,
and a doorway in the fifth bay. To left, a square projection,
2 storeys with quoins and parapet, containing the main stair.
Pedimented doorcase to west, Venetian stair window to north.
North front has 4 windows, several reglazed, and altered
INTERIOR: octagonal hall, c1731-62, 2 storeys, has modillion
cornice and panelled domed ceiling with arabesques. 3
pedimented doorcases with columns, 4 niches with statues,
marble fireplace. Under the cornice, 4 Diocletian windows and
4 half-round plasterwork panels by Dugdale.
Morning room, to left, early C18, fully panelled, with
strapwork ceiling and Rococo marble fireplace with portrait
medallion supported by cherubs. Great Chamber, c1632, has
framed panelling and polychrome marble chimneypiece, probably
by Smythson. Decorated strapwork frieze, C17, and strapwork
ceiling, probably C19. Panelled ground floor room on north
side, early C18, has 4 doorcase and overmantel with broken
pediments, marble fireplace, and panelled ceiling.
Main stairwell has moulded cornice and stone open well stair,
C19, with wrought-iron balustrade.
West wing has on the first floor a panelled pages' room, early
C17, with a rare decorative scheme showing military drill, and
frieze with the 7 Deadly Sins. Doorcase with columns, vine
trail and heraldic crest, C16, resited. Bedroom, panelled,
with foliage plaster frieze and lobed panelled ceiling with
monograms. Probably by Goudge for Sir William Clifton,
Stone cantilever stair with winders and crinoline balustrade,
c1779, posssibly by Carr. 3 panelled rooms at the west end by
Carr, 2 with Adam style friezes and overdoors, and 6-panel
The history of this building is complex and is not fully
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 270-272; Conference handbook, 1989, Soc. of Architect.
Hists. of GB: Hewlings R: Nottingham: 1989-: 68-71).
Listing NGR: SK5403434842
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings