History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millington's Hospital and Wall to Forecourt

A Grade II Listed Building in Shrewsbury, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.712 / 52°42'43"N

Longitude: -2.7633 / 2°45'47"W

OS Eastings: 348531

OS Northings: 312976

OS Grid: SJ485129

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.26D5

Mapcode Global: WH8BT.J3C7

Entry Name: Millington's Hospital and Wall to Forecourt

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 17 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247657

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457278

Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Shrewsbury

Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: St George of Cappadocia, Shrewsbury

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shrewsbury

Listing Text


SHREWSBURY

SJ4812NE FRANKWELL
653-1/10/327 (South West side)
10/01/53 Millington's Hospital and wall to
forecourt
(Formerly Listed as:
FRANKWELL
(East side)
Millington's Hospital)

GV II

Almshouses. Dated 1748. Founded by James Millington. The
central block remodelled 1785-6 by John Hiram Haycock. Brick
with Welsh slate roof and stone dressings.
2 storeys, 11-window range with projecting outer bays and
advanced pedimented central bay. Doorway in central bay,
raised up steps over basement in porch with Doric columns
carrying entablature. It is flanked by 12-pane sash windows
with stone voussoir heads. Single ring cambered heads to
basement windows below. Upper windows also 12-pane sashes with
single ring cambered heads each side of central inscription
stone which reads: "This hospital was given and endowed by the
will of James Millington late of Shrewsbury gent and was built
by him in the year MDCCXLVIII". Pedimented gable above, with
clock. Cupola recessed behind with domed cap carrying weather
vane dated 1782.
Flanking sections have blank arcading of 3 bays, each
containing mullioned and transomed windows, with doorways
between, including 2 passage entries giving access to rear.
Small casement windows to upper storey. Cornice and high
parapet over. Projecting outer wings also have blank arcade
containing mullioned and transomed window, with doorway in
side elevation. Parapets capped by urns. Axial stacks.
INTERIOR: main hall in central section with dado panelling and
pulpit.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: adjoining low wall to forecourt. Brick
with segmental stone copings and paired central gate piers.
Outer piers have flat pyramidal caps, the inner piers have
acorn finials.
(Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).


Listing NGR: SJ4853112976

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SHREWSBURY

SJ4812NE FRANKWELL
653-1/10/327 (South West side)
10/01/53 Millington's Hospital and wall to
forecourt
(Formerly Listed as:
FRANKWELL
(East side)
Millington's Hospital)

GV II

Almshouses. Dated 1748. Founded by James Millington. The
central block remodelled 1785-6 by John Hiram Haycock. Brick
with Welsh slate roof and stone dressings.
2 storeys, 11-window range with projecting outer bays and
advanced pedimented central bay. Doorway in central bay,
raised up steps over basement in porch with Doric columns
carrying entablature. It is flanked by 12-pane sash windows
with stone voussoir heads. Single ring cambered heads to
basement windows below. Upper windows also 12-pane sashes with
single ring cambered heads each side of central inscription
stone which reads: "This hospital was given and endowed by the
will of James Millington late of Shrewsbury gent and was built
by him in the year MDCCXLVIII". Pedimented gable above, with
clock. Cupola recessed behind with domed cap carrying weather
vane dated 1782.
Flanking sections have blank arcading of 3 bays, each
containing mullioned and transomed windows, with doorways
between, including 2 passage entries giving access to rear.
Small casement windows to upper storey. Cornice and high
parapet over. Projecting outer wings also have blank arcade
containing mullioned and transomed window, with doorway in
side elevation. Parapets capped by urns. Axial stacks.
INTERIOR: main hall in central section with dado panelling and
pulpit.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: adjoining low wall to forecourt. Brick
with segmental stone copings and paired central gate piers.
Outer piers have flat pyramidal caps, the inner piers have
acorn finials.
(Colvin H: A Dictionary of British Architects: London: 1978-).


Listing NGR: SJ4853112976

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.