This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6989 / 51°41'55"N
Longitude: 0.4726 / 0°28'21"E
OS Eastings: 570969
OS Northings: 202909
OS Grid: TL709029
Mapcode National: GBR PKY.DB5
Mapcode Global: VHJK8.4KPH
Entry Name: 27 and 29, Well Lane
Listing Date: 6 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428991
Location: Galleywood, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2
Civil Parish: Galleywood
Built-Up Area: Chelmsford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Galleywood St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
The following building shall be added:
TL 70 SW GALLEYWOOD
Nos 27 and 29
House, now two houses. Mid C16; No. 27 altered 1692; mid C18 rear wing.
Render over timber frame; mid C18 rear range of Flemish bond red brick;
gabled old tile roofs; rendered brick stacks. Mid C16 central 2-storey
hall, with original service range (heightened 1692) to left and evidence
of former cross wing (demolished) to right; rear range of mid C18 added
to make double-pile plan. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Flat rendered arches
over C20 doors to right and left and late C19 three-light casements with
glazing bars. Mid C18 two-storey, 3-window range elevation to rear, with
ground-floor segmental arches and first-floor flat arches over C20 3-light
windows. Interior of No. 29 to right; exposed C16 studding with passing
braces; chamfered beam and plain joists to ground floor; first floor room
has stop-chamfered wall post to tie beam with chamfered arch bracing and
central mortice for former crown post. Studding of former cross wing to
rear. Chimney stack has been inserted in former through passage to left.
Mid C18 rooms to rear have beaded segmental-arched wooden fireplace surroundto ground floor and 2-panelled doors. Interior of No. 27: exposed timber
framing survives from mid C16 house; inserted floor joists to chamfered ogee-stopped beam; Originally of I$ storeys; remodelled and raised to two storeys in 1692; open fireplace to right has inscribed initials and dates
1692 and 1708. First-floor partition has door post inscribed "AT THE
CHARGE OF IACOB PANETT THE ELDEST SUSANNA HIS WIFE SUSANNA HIS DAUGHTER
WHO WROUGHT EXCEEDING HARD FOR IT. PRAY DO NOT SPEND IT" and "THIS HOUSE
WAS BUILT IN 1692"; evidence of former partition to below; C18 panelle
doors with H hinges; side purlin roof with raised rafters from a couple
rafter or crown post roof.
Listing NGR: TL7096902909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings