History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

39-42, New Bond Street

A Grade II Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5121 / 51°30'43"N

Longitude: -0.144 / 0°8'38"W

OS Eastings: 528891

OS Northings: 180872

OS Grid: TQ288808

Mapcode National: GBR CD.V4

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.G875

Entry Name: 39-42, New Bond Street

Listing Date: 11 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247700

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429034

Location: Westminster, London, W1S

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

NEW BOND STREET
TQ 2880 NE
(east side)
69/202
Nos 39-42 (consec)
II GV
The description shall be amended to read:-
commercial premises. 1907-8 by Edward Keynes Purchase for Cooling Lawrence and
Son, tailors, with interiors of 1962-3 by Raymond Erith. Exuberant classical
Baroque style facade clad in faience. Basement and 5 storeys, including attic
storey. Symmetrical in 5 bays, defined at 1st and 2nd floors by composite
half-columns, and at 3rd floor by rusticated pilasters. Canted bay windows to
2nd and 4th bays of 1st and 2nd and 3rd floors. Second and 3rd floors under
continuous modillion cornices, articulated across the bays. Friezes ornamented
with cartouches elaborate keystones. Metal framed casements with dentilled
transomes divided on the canted bays and to the 4th storey by composite engaged
columns. Attic storey partly behind parapet with bulbous pilasters. Tripartite
windows to 2nd and 4th bays, beneath tall cornices, now missing gables and
behind iron balcony railings. Ground floor shop fronts between rusticated
piers. No 40 Mallett and Son has central part glazed door set back between
curving glazed shop front, beneath fretted frieze. Inside, but intended to be
seen from exterior doorway is flanked by arches supported on debated Ionic
columns. Interior: Front spaces classically treated with screen between front
and rear rooms. Further rear rooms added 1962-3: 3 rooms by Raymond Erith.
Large dining room in stripped soanic style with shallow pendentive dome. Small
dining room in conventional classical manner with blind palladian window. Small
octagonal showroom in manner of Italian grotto. Panels of fine shell work
framed by octive alabaster borders. Fountain set in niche. Base of walls lined
in white marble and gritty grey granite. Floor tiled in geometric design.
Natural light from central lantern. Glazed cabinet set in brass frames.
Designed as showroom for small pieces, while the other rooms were for antique
furniture. Occupied since 1910 by Mallet and Son.

------------------------------------

NEW BOND STREET
TQ 2880 NE
(east side)
69/202 Nos 39-42 (consec)
II GV
Commercial premises. 1907-8 by Edward Keynes. Purchase for Cooling
Lawrence & Son, tailors, with interiors of 1962-3 by Raymond Erith. Exuberant
classical Baroque style Facade clad in faience. Basement and 5 storeys, including
attic storey. Symmetrical in 5 bays, defined at 1st and 2nd floors by composite
half-columns, and at 3rd floor by rusticated pilasters. Canted bay windows to 2nd
and 4th bays of 1st and 2nd and 3rd floors. 2nd and 3rd floors under continuous
modillion cornices, articulated across the bays. Friezes ornamented with
cartouches elaborate keystones. Metal framed casements with dentilled transomes
divided on the canted bays and to the 4th storey by composite engaged columns.
Attic storey partly behind parapet with bulbous pilasters. Tripartite windows to
2nd and 4th bays, beneath tall cornices, now missing gables and behind iron
balcony railings. Ground floor shop fronts between rusticated piers. No 40
Mallett & Son has central part glazed door set back between curving glazed shop-
front, beneath fretted frieze. Inside, but intended to be seen from exterior
doorway is flanked by arches supported on debased Ionic columns. Interior: Front
spaces classically treated with screen between front and rear rooms. Further rear
rooms added 1962-3: 3 rooms by Raymond Erith. Large dining room in stripped
soanic style with shallow pendentive dome. Small dining room in conventional
classical manner with blind palladian window. Small octagonal showroom in manner
of Italian grotto. Panels of fine shell work framed by octive alabaster borders.
Fountain set in niche. Base of walls lined in white marble and gritty grey
granite. Floor tiled in geometric design. Natural light from central lantern .
Glazed cabinets set in brass frames. Designed as showroom for small pieces, while
the other rooms were for antique furniture. Occupied since 1910 by Mallett & Son.


Listing NGR: TQ2888980878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NEW BOND STREET
TQ 2880 NE
(east side)
69/202
Nos 39-42 (consec)
II GV
The description shall be amended to read:-
commercial premises. 1907-8 by Edward Keynes Purchase for Cooling Lawrence and
Son, tailors, with interiors of 1962-3 by Raymond Erith. Exuberant classical
Baroque style facade clad in faience. Basement and 5 storeys, including attic
storey. Symmetrical in 5 bays, defined at 1st and 2nd floors by composite
half-columns, and at 3rd floor by rusticated pilasters. Canted bay windows to
2nd and 4th bays of 1st and 2nd and 3rd floors. Second and 3rd floors under
continuous modillion cornices, articulated across the bays. Friezes ornamented
with cartouches elaborate keystones. Metal framed casements with dentilled
transomes divided on the canted bays and to the 4th storey by composite engaged
columns. Attic storey partly behind parapet with bulbous pilasters. Tripartite
windows to 2nd and 4th bays, beneath tall cornices, now missing gables and
behind iron balcony railings. Ground floor shop fronts between rusticated
piers. No 40 Mallett and Son has central part glazed door set back between
curving glazed shop front, beneath fretted frieze. Inside, but intended to be
seen from exterior doorway is flanked by arches supported on debated Ionic
columns. Interior: Front spaces classically treated with screen between front
and rear rooms. Further rear rooms added 1962-3: 3 rooms by Raymond Erith.
Large dining room in stripped soanic style with shallow pendentive dome. Small
dining room in conventional classical manner with blind palladian window. Small
octagonal showroom in manner of Italian grotto. Panels of fine shell work
framed by octive alabaster borders. Fountain set in niche. Base of walls lined
in white marble and gritty grey granite. Floor tiled in geometric design.
Natural light from central lantern. Glazed cabinet set in brass frames.
Designed as showroom for small pieces, while the other rooms were for antique
furniture. Occupied since 1910 by Mallet and Son.

------------------------------------

NEW BOND STREET
TQ 2880 NE
(east side)
69/202 Nos 39-42 (consec)
II GV
Commercial premises. 1907-8 by Edward Keynes. Purchase for Cooling
Lawrence & Son, tailors, with interiors of 1962-3 by Raymond Erith. Exuberant
classical Baroque style Facade clad in faience. Basement and 5 storeys, including
attic storey. Symmetrical in 5 bays, defined at 1st and 2nd floors by composite
half-columns, and at 3rd floor by rusticated pilasters. Canted bay windows to 2nd
and 4th bays of 1st and 2nd and 3rd floors. 2nd and 3rd floors under continuous
modillion cornices, articulated across the bays. Friezes ornamented with
cartouches elaborate keystones. Metal framed casements with dentilled transomes
divided on the canted bays and to the 4th storey by composite engaged columns.
Attic storey partly behind parapet with bulbous pilasters. Tripartite windows to
2nd and 4th bays, beneath tall cornices, now missing gables and behind iron
balcony railings. Ground floor shop fronts between rusticated piers. No 40
Mallett & Son has central part glazed door set back between curving glazed shop-
front, beneath fretted frieze. Inside, but intended to be seen from exterior
doorway is flanked by arches supported on debased Ionic columns. Interior: Front
spaces classically treated with screen between front and rear rooms. Further rear
rooms added 1962-3: 3 rooms by Raymond Erith. Large dining room in stripped
soanic style with shallow pendentive dome. Small dining room in conventional
classical manner with blind palladian window. Small octagonal showroom in manner
of Italian grotto. Panels of fine shell work framed by octive alabaster borders.
Fountain set in niche. Base of walls lined in white marble and gritty grey
granite. Floor tiled in geometric design. Natural light from central lantern .
Glazed cabinets set in brass frames. Designed as showroom for small pieces, while
the other rooms were for antique furniture. Occupied since 1910 by Mallett & Son.


Listing NGR: TQ2888980878

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.