This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1855 / 51°11'7"N
Longitude: 1.275 / 1°16'29"E
OS Eastings: 628963
OS Northings: 148019
OS Grid: TR289480
Mapcode National: GBR W0T.R4J
Mapcode Global: VHLH4.1GWJ
Plus Code: 9F3357PF+6X
Entry Name: Waldershare Park
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429067
Location: Shepherdswell with Coldred, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Shepherdswell with Coldred
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 NE
6/125 Waldershare Park
(formerly listed under
13.10.52 Parish of Sutton)
Country House, now flats. 1705-1712 for Sir Henry Furnese and attributed
to William Talman. Entrance porch added 1890, most of the interior and
parts of exterior restored after a fire in 1915 by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Double pile plan with flanking and projecting wings. Red brick, in 2 colours,
with dressed stone details and plain tiled roof. Garden front (original
entrance front): stylistically dependant on the park front of Hampton Court.
Main block of 9 bays on plinth with flanking pilaster strip quoins and
moulded cornice to attic storey also with pilaster strips, with cornice
parapet crowned with stone urn finials. Hipped roof with central projecting
hip, 5 segmental dormers, and stacks ranged left to right. Centre piece of
5 bays projecting with 6 Corinthian pilasters and full entablature recessed
at corners. Tall ground floor windows with moulded architraves, triple
keyed, and smaller mezzanine windows, all with glazing bar sashes. Flanking
glazing bar sashes with triple keyed architraves, attic windows just with
architraves. Central double glazed doors with large rectangular fanlights
in moulded lugged surround with shell top and bracketed cornice, festooned
ox-eye over door. Two storey and attic flanking wings, with plinth, plat
band and moulded eaves cornice to hipped roof with arcaded stacks, that to
right by Blomfield and with architectural embellishments. Three glazing bar
sashes on first floor, 2 on ground floor with central french doors in each
wing. Single storey end wings, projecting with plinth, quoins and parapet
with sphynx finials, 2 glazing bar sashes and sunk panels over, The moat
which survives around the right end wing originally surrounded the entire
building. Entrance front: much plainer, but built up from single storey
projecting wings to three bay 2 storey and attic flanks (that to left with
raised roof line) to 3 storey and attic centre block of 9 bays, the centre
three projecting. Plinth, plat band, cornice and quoins to projecting wings
and pilaster quoins to centre 3 bays rusticated on ground floor, with attic
cornice to hipped roof with 7 dormers on main roof, and 2 on each lower hipped
flank. Only the glazing bar sashes in the centre projection have stone
architraves, keyed on ground and first floors. Other details in rubbed brick.
Projecting porch with double panelled doors in Doric doorcase and triglyph
frieze and cornice with sphynx finials. Interior: mostly destroyed 1913
and rebuilt by Blomfield, who also raised the roof height. Much lost since
conversion to flats. Some of the moulded stone fireplaces are said to
survive from the C18 house, especially in the original entrance hall (on
garden front). Main staircase C20, an open well plan with cast iron rails.
Upper floor with 2 elliptical top lit stairs and oval wells in floor to
light lower corridor, with ramped and moulded handrails and turned baluster
stairs. Plaster friezes and cornices survive in some rooms, interrupted by
later partitions. The most impressive survival from the C18 house are the
fine cellars, vaulted and arcaded with 2 large chambers with central piers.
Seat of the Lords North, Earls of Guilford, 1766 to mid C20. (See B.O.E.
Kent II 1983, pp.487-8; see also J. Harris, William Talman, Maverick
Architect, 1981, pp 33-40 and p. 48 n.90; Hasted, X, pp 54-7; Iggulden, XX,
pp. 79-81). The house is partly in Coldred parish and is cross-referenced
under that parish.
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1069998. This entry was removed from the List on 13 September 2018.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings