History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Riding School and Stable Courtyard, Waldershare Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Tilmanstone, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1924 / 51°11'32"N

Longitude: 1.2772 / 1°16'37"E

OS Eastings: 629083

OS Northings: 148793

OS Grid: TR290487

Mapcode National: GBR W0T.5QX

Mapcode Global: VHLH4.3927

Entry Name: Riding School and Stable Courtyard, Waldershare Park

Listing Date: 24 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429071

Location: Tilmanstone, Dover, Kent, CT15

County: Kent

District: Dover

Civil Parish: Tilmanstone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Tilmanstone

Listing Text

TILMANSTONE WALDERSHARE
TR 24 NE

6/131 Riding school and
Stable courtyard,
Waldershare Park

GV II

Riding school and stables. Dated 1871. Yellow brick with red brick dressings
with slate roofs. Large riding school fronting open stable courtyard, itself
with secondary side courts with cottages and store houses, all executed in
finely detailed polychrome brickwork. Riding school of 1 large storey on
plinth, with 8 offset buttresses on long side and moulded cornice, raised
to a gable in centre, to hipped roof. Recessed and gabled wing to right
with end stack. Gauged, polychrome, pointed arched windows in sunk and
crenellated panels, 5 either side of central carriage doors with single
window over. Interior: The projecting end bay, with its own entry via
boarded doors in end elevation, was originally an observation gallery. Main
building is one single space, the roof of timber reinforced by iron struts
and wire restraints. The floor of chalk, the walls were originally
wainscotted. Stable courtyard: Central 2 storey block, with central timber
framed gable with finial/spirelet, this range of brick on outer face, and
2 projecting gabled store houses left and right, and with single storey
flanking wings, projecting on inner face towards the riding school. The
whole is united by continuous plinth and banded string courses picked out in
red brick. The outer elevation with five panelled buttresses either side of
main entrance with date 1871 on flanking buttresses with large iron
ventilators in roof, with 2 storey gabled end blocks. The symmetry of the
composition is upset somewhat by the irregular subsidiary courtyards on
return wings, with single storey gabled range and cobbled courtyards, all
at sometime domestic. Some stable fittings, and gas meters survive. Part
of a complex including kennels, machine house, and, now lost, gas works.


Listing NGR: TR2903948084

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

TILMANSTONE WALDERSHARE
TR 24 NE

6/131 Riding school and
Stable courtyard,
Waldershare Park

GV II

Riding school and stables. Dated 1871. Yellow brick with red brick dressings
with slate roofs. Large riding school fronting open stable courtyard, itself
with secondary side courts with cottages and store houses, all executed in
finely detailed polychrome brickwork. Riding school of 1 large storey on
plinth, with 8 offset buttresses on long side and moulded cornice, raised
to a gable in centre, to hipped roof. Recessed and gabled wing to right
with end stack. Gauged, polychrome, pointed arched windows in sunk and
crenellated panels, 5 either side of central carriage doors with single
window over. Interior: The projecting end bay, with its own entry via
boarded doors in end elevation, was originally an observation gallery. Main
building is one single space, the roof of timber reinforced by iron struts
and wire restraints. The floor of chalk, the walls were originally
wainscotted. Stable courtyard: Central 2 storey block, with central timber
framed gable with finial/spirelet, this range of brick on outer face, and
2 projecting gabled store houses left and right, and with single storey
flanking wings, projecting on inner face towards the riding school. The
whole is united by continuous plinth and banded string courses picked out in
red brick. The outer elevation with five panelled buttresses either side of
main entrance with date 1871 on flanking buttresses with large iron
ventilators in roof, with 2 storey gabled end blocks. The symmetry of the
composition is upset somewhat by the irregular subsidiary courtyards on
return wings, with single storey gabled range and cobbled courtyards, all
at sometime domestic. Some stable fittings, and gas meters survive. Part
of a complex including kennels, machine house, and, now lost, gas works.


Listing NGR: TR2903948084

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.