History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tillingham, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6978 / 51°41'52"N

Longitude: 0.8829 / 0°52'58"E

OS Eastings: 599325

OS Northings: 203831

OS Grid: TL993038

Mapcode National: GBR SQG.G1S

Mapcode Global: VHKGY.8L39

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 30 December 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247743

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429103

Location: Tillingham, Maldon, Essex, CM0

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Tillingham

Built-Up Area: Tillingham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Tillingham; St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Tillingham

Listing Text


TL 98/9903 TILLINGHAM THE SQUARE

11/237 Church of St. Nicholas
30.12.59
GV II*

Parish church. C12 Nave, C13 Chancel rebuilt and lengthened, C14 Chancel Arch
rebuilt, South Aisle and West Tower added. C19 South Aisle rebuilt and south
arcade restored, south porch and north vestry added. Septaria and flint rubble,
limestone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs of 2 levels with parapet verges and
cross finials. Chancel east wall with 2 stage angle buttress. 3 C13 restored
C19 lancet windows, quatrefoil to apex. 3 similar windows to north and south
walls. Lean-to North Vestry. Chamfered 2 centre arched doorway to west return.
3 buttresses to north wall of Nave, which has 2 cusped 2 light windows with 2
centre arched heads. Between the windows the C12 north doorway with plain round
head and a segmental head supporting the diapered tympanum. South aisle has 2
buttresses and 3 trefoiled 2 light windows, with segmental heads to each light.
Red tiled gabled porch with pierced bargeboards and finial, flint rubble plinth,
part glazed timber frame. Crenellated West Tower with raised and crenellated
south east stair turret. Of 3 stages with buttresses to western angles. 5 small
lights to stair turret, gargoyles to angles, weathervane above. Clock to south
face. 2 centre arched west doorway with double hollow chamfered jambs,
vertically boarded door. West window of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil over, 2
centre arched head, label with head stops over. Second stage north, south and
west windows, trefoiled under square heads. Bell chamber, sounding louvres of 2
cusped lights under square heads with labels over. Interior. Chancel, roof of 5
cants, moulded stone corbels support carved wall posts and bracing forming
segmental arches to each bay. Inlaid warble floor to sanctuary. C13 piscina, 2
centre arched head, moulded bases to moulded jambs, octofoil drain, chamfered
shelf. C13 sedilia, of 3 bays with 2 centre arched heads, middle bays on
shouldered corbels. C19 stained glass to lancet windows. Marble reredos
panels. C13 blocked segmental arched doorway in south wall between the western
windows. C19 traceried front to choir stalls. Said to be a brass to Edward
Wiot 1584, kneeling figure in cloak and trunk hose with coat of arms, in south
wall, behind a door in the panelling. C14 2 centred Chancel Arch of 2 chamfered
orders, responds with semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. C19/C20
traceried screen of 4 panels and centre arch, Rood and 2 Maries over. Nave roof
similar to that in Chancel. C19 octagonal carved wooden pulpit, moulded
capitals and bases to angle shafts, 2 trefoiled roundheaded arches with tracery
over to each face. Segmental head to north doorway. 4 bay south arcade with 2
centred arches of 2 chamfered orders, moulded capitals and bases to octagonal
columns, attached half columns to responds. Ceiled lean-to roof to south aisle.
2 centred West Tower Arch of 3 chamfered orders, the inner continues through
responds. 2 C15 doors in stair turret of vertical nailed and lapped boards with
feathered strap hinges, sunk chamfered doorway. A wall plaque relates
restoration of the church 1888-1911, rededication 1891. Font. C12. Square bowl
with carved foliage in relief, chamfered base, large central and 4 corner
support columns, moulded bases and capitals.


Listing NGR: TL9932503831

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.