History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Patrick

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nuthall, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9951 / 52°59'42"N

Longitude: -1.2345 / 1°14'4"W

OS Eastings: 451475

OS Northings: 344473

OS Grid: SK514444

Mapcode National: GBR L26.NG

Mapcode Global: WHDGK.0ZD7

Plus Code: 9C4WXQW8+35

Entry Name: Church of St Patrick

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248182

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429733

Location: Nuthall, Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG16

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Nuthall

Built-Up Area: Kimberley

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Kimberley and Nuthall

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Watnall Cantelupe

Description

SK 54 SW NUTHALL KIMBERLEY ROAD
(north side)

5/49 Church of
St. Patrick
13.10.66
G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18. Restored 1838. Re-roofed
1858 and 1884. Restored and vestry and organ chamber added by
James Fowler, 1884. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar.
Slate gabled and copper and lead lean-to roofs. Chamfered and
moulded plinths, coped gables with kneelers and crosses,
crenellated octagonal side wall stack. West tower, nave, north
aisle, 2 vestries and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West
tower, C13 and C18, 2 stages, has string course and crenellated
parapet. First stage has to west, C13 doorway with hood mould and
mask stops. Above, restored double lancet with flowing tracery
and hood mould. Second stage has to north and south 2 chamfered
openings. To west, 3 similar stepped openings. To east, a
similar divided opening. North aisle, 3 bays, has a diagonal
buttress to west. West end has C15 triple lancet with panel
tracery. North side has 2 similar double lancets flanking
vestry. Vestry, 1974, has casement and door to west and 2
casements to east. Organ chamber has sill band and 2 diagonal
buttresses. North tgable has Decorated double lancet with hood
mould and mask stops. Vestry, 1884, lean-to, has a diagonal
buttress. North side has doorway. East side has C15 style
double lancet with hood mould. Chancel, late C14, 2 bays, has
sill band at east end with gargoyle finials. East end has triple
lancet with panel tracery. South side has off-centre buttress
flanked by single restored late C14 double lancets with Decorated
tracery and square reveals. Nave, late C14, 4 bays, has 4
buttresses. South side has 3 double lancets with Decorated
tracery and square reveals. South porch, rebuilt C19, has to
south, pair of flanking buttresses and depressed moulded arched
doorway with hood mould. Above, C19 lamp with ornate bracket.
Interior has 2 stone benches and common rafter roof. C14 inner
doorway has cove moulding with fleurons, shafts, and hood mould
with crowned mask stops. Double chamfered and rebated tower
arch, C13, has half-round responds. North arcade, c.1400, 3
bays, has octagonal piers and double chamfered and rebated arches
with beast mask stops. South side has to east, C14 piscina. 2
C20 stained glass windows. Purl in roof with arch braces. North
aisle west end has C19 stained glass. East end has C14 tomb
recess and C19 archway with C20 traceried screen. North side has
blocked central lancet. C19 lean-to roof. Double chamfered and
rebated chancel arch, C14, has to its left, blocked squint.
Early C15 traceried wooden screen with cresting. North side has
to west, recess containing organ in Gothic case, 1871. East end
has traceried panelled War Memorial reredos, 1949, and late C15
stained glass window, re-sited 1853. South side has to east, C14
double piscina. To west, window with 4 late C15 stained glass
shields. Purlin roof with arch braces. Memorials include
moulded recess containing ashlar table and alabaster effigy to
Sir Robert Cokefield, c.1392. Incised slabs C13 and 1558. Slate
wall tablets, 1699 and 1710. Larger slate tablet with apron,
1736, and shield-shaped marble and slate tablet, 1786. 5 marble
and slate tablets, C19. 4 late C19 brasses. Marble and
alabaster War Memorial tablet c.1918. Fittings include C19
traceried octagonal pulpit and lectern. Octagonal font, 1886.
Benches with shaped ends, 1884. Stalls and desks, 1939. Prayer
desks, 1949.


Listing NGR: SK5147544473


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.