This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4506 / 51°27'2"N
Longitude: -0.9619 / 0°57'43"W
OS Eastings: 472229
OS Northings: 172907
OS Grid: SU722729
Mapcode National: GBR QPH.0G
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.8STW
Entry Name: Great Hall of the University of Reading
Listing Date: 12 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39276
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Redlands
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/11/2015
LONDON ROAD (south side),
Great Hall of the University of Reading
University Great Hall. Dated 1905. By C Ravenscroft and CS Smith. Red brick with orange brick window dressings and all other dressings of Portland stone. Plain tiled roofs with four pediment - gabled dormers to each side and parapet - gables at each end containing keyed oculi and flanked by towers with rusticated corner piers with arched intradoses, cornices and squared stone cupolas. North end: very large Venetian window with stone surround and prominent keystone. Datestone below reading: THIS STONE WAS LAID/BY THE RIGHT HONOURABLE/VISCOUNT GOSCHEN DCL FRS/CHANCELLOR/OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD/VII JUNE MCMV. Side Front: Divided into six bays by brick buttresses rising to pedimented weatherings over brick panels and carrying on as shallower pilaster - buttresses after main-wing with volute brackets to stone cornice carrying parapet ramped up to pedestals with lunette motifs. Paired arched windows between with stone impost blocks and keystones, gauged heads and very tall sash windows with glazing bars. North ends of both sides have entrances with panelled doors topped by overlights with stained glass, and stone surrounds with double orders of Doric pilasters, triglyph friezes and half-open triangular pediments over. Interior: Barrel vaulted hall with Neo-Georgian plaster decoration. The University of Reading was originally opened as an Extension-College of the University of Oxford and received its charter as a University in 1927.
Listing NGR: SU7222972907
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings