This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0404 / 52°2'25"N
Longitude: -1.3919 / 1°23'30"W
OS Eastings: 441809
OS Northings: 238174
OS Grid: SP418381
Mapcode National: GBR 7T4.2XR
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.TZK6
Entry Name: Broughton Castle and attached walls
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 430494
Location: Broughton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Broughton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton with North Newington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Broughton Castle and attached walls
Fortified manor house. Moated C13 and C14 core, remodelled C15, C16 and C18, C19 restoration by George Gilbert Scott. C20 restoration. North front: Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Stone slate roof. Stone lateral and end stacks. Central stack dated RF 1554.
Complex plan: chapel, kitchen, offices, great hall and living quarters. Two storeys plus attic. Six bays.
North front: remodelled c.1550 by Richard Fiennes in Italianate style. Two entrances, one into crenellated C16 extension to left, the other doorway concealed at the side of the bay window to right. Two two-storey bay windows flank oriel window to first floor which has fluted Ionic and Corinthian columns. Scattered fenestration: Stone mullioned and transomed windows including fake windows to west bay window, C18 round headed windows with intersecting glazing bars, and two-light Decorated chapel window. Gabled attic storey. Stone coping.
South front: two storeys plus attic. Little attempt at symmetry. Two doorways; pointed, arched doorway to right has plank door. To left a square headed doorway. Scattered fenestration; stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops, stone mullioned and transomed windows, round headed window with wooden mullions and transoms and pointed arched windows with Gothick glazing bars. The south front is dominated by two gabled staircase projections, lateral stack between. To right a small gabled C16 garderobe and a battlemented tower of three storeys with gargoyles and slits. Two-light C14 window first floor of solar wing. C14 buttresses.
East front: three storeys with gargoyles and slits. Two-light C14 window first floor of solar wing. C14 buttresses. East front: three-light Geometrical window to chapel, two traceried square headed windows and a two-light Geometrical window.
West front: former kitchen wing remodelled and extended C16. Two storeys. Large stone mullioned and transomed windows. Parapet and hipped roof to right.
Interior: C14 plan of great hall and kitchen and offices at west end and living quarters on three floors at east end with first floor solar and chapel over vaulted undercroft. C16 remodelling reversed this arrangement: former kitchen became living rooms, new kitchen built at east end of solar block, three floors built above hall and flat ceiling inserted.
West wing: Drawing Room or Oak Room c.1598 in Flemish Rennaisance style. Built on the foundations of the C14 kitchens. Oak panelling and interior porch with cartouche. Stone fireplace with triglyph frieze, pilasters and floral reliefs. Small room to west of Hall, now Library, remodelled c.1760s in Gothick style.
Great Hall: C14, 58.5ft. x 28.5ft. Four bays. Ceiling with C18 decoration probably by Sanderson Miller. Blocked doorways including two to pantry and buttery. Four-centred C16 doorway with plank door. Stone fireplace. Two small pointed arched doorways with plank doors to quadripartite vaulted passages, one to the chapel, the other to the solar wing. C14 stone newel stair to solar; straight flight of stone to chapel with rib vaulting above.
Undercroft to solar now dining room: three bays of quadripartite vaulting chamfered ribs springing from moulded corbels. Linenfold panelling and stone fireplace c.1540. Chapel undercroft now kitchen: two bays of quadripartite vaulting with chamfered ribs and carved bosses. High pointed arched window to east now cut to contain a doorway. Former open courtyard to east of chapel, enclosed C15 now contains 1970 stone staircase by Fletcher and Watson. C15 Kitchens east of solar wing.
First floor: White room in west wing. Ornate plaster ceiling dated 1559 and REF for Richard and Elizabeth Fiennes. Carved doorcases and dado by G.G.Scott c.1867.
Long gallery remodelled in Gothick style c.1760. Star chamber off Long Gallery: Important stone fireplace has carved stucco overmantel c.1554. The central panel shows dryads dancing round an oak and beneath is an inscription from Ovid. Influence of Fontainebleau School. C16 ceiling has plaster ribs and rosettes and frieze of vines and pomegranates. C18 Chinese hand painted wallpaper.
Queen Anne's Room: Stone fireplace built by Richard Fiennes c.1551. Squint to chapel in north east corner. Chapel c.1331 two storeys 17.5ft.x10.75ft. Noted as a rare example of an unaltered C14 private chapel. Original stone altar slab on stone brackets. Three squints. Piscina recess has ogee head. Medieval floor tiles. Council chamber at top of west stair. Used as meeting place 1629-1640.
Listing NGR: SP4180438177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings