This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0417 / 52°2'30"N
Longitude: -1.3911 / 1°23'27"W
OS Eastings: 441861
OS Northings: 238321
OS Grid: SP418383
Mapcode National: GBR 7SY.WND
Mapcode Global: VHBYR.TYY6
Plus Code: 9C4W2JR5+MH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 430519
Location: Broughton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Broughton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton with North Newington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BROUGHTON BANBURY ROAD
SP43NW (West side)
1/233 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Church. c.1300. South aisle clerestory late C14. Nave clerestorey C15.
Small-scale general restoration 1825. Sedilia and piscina restored by Giltert
Scott 1858. Complete restoration 1877-1880 by Gilbert Scott and G.G. Scott.
Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower, south
aisle, south porch, north vestry. Chancel: Large 6-light curvilinear east
window; south window has square head and 2 lights with quatrefoils and
mouchettes; three 2-light north windows have trefoils, mouchettes and
quatrefoils. Nave: pointed arched doorway to right flanked by 2-light windows
with Y-tracery. A 3-light similar window to left. Four 2-light Perpendicular
windows to clerestory. Some limestone tracery in windows. Tower: West door has
wave and hollow mouldings with ballflower and ogee hood with finial; 3 stages;
2-light bell openings have Y-tracery; broach spire with lucarnes and crocketed
gables. South aisle; West window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery, hood
mould and head stops; 4-light geometrical east windows. Gabled, south porch to
left; south doorway has pointed arch and 3 orders of hollow moulding, the outer
2 carried on shafts with bell capitals; plank door; to right of porch a 3-light
window with intersecting tracery, a doorway with chamfered head and a 5-light
window. Three 2-light Decorated windows to clerestorey have square heads.
Chancel has stone coping to steep roof and angle buttresses. Nave has flat band
and a continuous band below windows and moulded parapet; south aisle has parapet
with Decorated canopied niches above east and west windows; parapet has finials,
ballflower, heads and floral decoration; Tower has angle buttresses. Interior:
Decorated chancel arch has wave mouldings. 3-seat seilia and piscina C19. 4-bay
arcade of south aisle, transitional Early English/Decorated, has round piers
moulded capitals, double chamfered arches and half quatrefoil responds. Stone
chancel screen noted as a rare example of the Decorated style, has 3 crocketed
ogee arches either side of the central arch and a cornice with head corbels.
Blocked squint in east wall of chancel; C12 font has cable moulded rim. C19
stone pulpit. Comwumion rails l637. Nave beam dated 1684, some plain and slip
decorated late medieval floor tiles. Wall paintings: C14 fragments in north and
east walls of chancel and north wall of nave. Monuments: 3 notable medieval
monuments, restored C19: In the south aisle, effigy of a cross-legged knight,
probably John de Broughton d.1315 with a lion at his feet and angels supporting
his pillow in an elaborately canopied recess, both effigy and canopy violently
coloured 1846; in the chancel, alabaster effigies in an elaborately decorated
tomb recess of a knight and lady, the knight is probably Sir Thomas Wykeham
d.1470; in the south aisle the effigy of a knight in plate armour c.1350 on a
C15 tomb chest; also in the south aisle a tomb with canopy, panelled vault with
pendants and probably the arms of Edward Fiennes, 1528; double chest tomb in the
chancel to William first Lord Saye and Sele d.1662 and wife Elizabeth d.1648 has
chest carved with sheilds and strapwork cartouches and plain black marble slab.
A C13 stone coffin lid in south aisle. C19 monuments: in chancel to Richard
Haydon d.1837; in south aisle to Maria Marow d.1834, William twelfth Lord Saye
and Sele d.1847, Ellen Twisleton d.1862. Brass in south aisle to Lady Philippa
Bishopsden d.1414. 10 hatchments in the south aisle dated 1666 to 1847 all
commemorating Fiennes or Twisletons who lived at Broughton Castle. Stained
glass: 3 circular Cl6 heraldic panels in south window, other C19 glass by Lavers
and Westlake, Kempe, Clayton and Bell, Burlinson and Grylls and Munich glass. A
fine example of the transitional Early English/Decorated stage.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IX, pp.99-100; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
1974, pp.490-492; The Hatchments in Broughton Church, church pamphlet).
Listing NGR: SP4186038321
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings