History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wassand Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Seaton, East Riding of Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8972 / 53°53'49"N

Longitude: -0.2147 / 0°12'52"W

OS Eastings: 517407

OS Northings: 446037

OS Grid: TA174460

Mapcode National: GBR VRYC.9P

Mapcode Global: WHHG5.N9YN

Plus Code: 9C5XVQWP+V4

Entry Name: Wassand Hall

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 9 May 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249398

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431518

Location: Seaton, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Seaton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sigglesthorne St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: English country house Historic house museum

Find accommodation in
Sigglesthorne

Description

SEATON

TA 14 NE WASSAND ROAD,
Wassand Park
(South side)
552- /6/65
Wassand Hall
04/03/52
II*

Country house. 1813-19, additions 1843 and late C19, restored and reduced 1947-48. Designed by Thomas Cundy for the Rev Charles Constable and restored by Francis Johnson for Sir Marmaduke Strickland-Constable. White brick with ashlar dressings and slate hipped roof with domed lantern and brick stacks. Ashlar plinth, first floor band and eaves cornice. 2 storey. West entrance front, 3 windows with slightly projecting centre. Central doorway has wooden pedimented doorway with glazed double doors flanked by single, narrow glazing bar sashes. Eitherside a single full height tripartite window with glazing bar sashes. Above a similar central window flanked by single glazing bar sashes. Set back service wing to right has 3 glazing bar sashes with 2 similar sashes above. South front, 5 windows. Central window has moulded ashlar surround with flat bracketed hood reached up 3 steps. Ground floor has full height glazing bar sashes, smaller sashes above. Set back lower service wing. East front, 6 windows. Ground floor has tall glazing bar sashes with small ashlar panels below, smaller sashes above. Set back wing to left has tripartite sashes inserted 1948 and single glazing bar sashes beyond. North entrance front, built after removal of service wing 1947-48, has central 3 window projection topped by a parapet. Central projecting porch with open pediment supported on pilasters flanking round headed doorway with double panel doors and ornate fanlight with double keystone. Above single round headed sash with small blind window above. Eitherside single oval windows with single glazing bar sashes above. INTERIOR. Retains original doors, doorcases, window shutters and ornate plaster coving throughout. 2 storey galleried entrance hall lit by circular domed lantern and staircase with 2 barley-sugar baluster per tread and semi-circular roof light. Library retains original tripartite bookcases. Reception rooms retain original marble fireplaces. Dining room has mid C18 pine fireplace reused from previous house. Bedrooms mostly retain original fireplaces. This fine quality Regency house, which was carefully restored by Francis Johnson 1947-48, retains almost all its original internal features intact.

Listing NGR: TA1740746037

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.