History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage South East of Portobello Including Walls to the Garden East of Portobello

A Grade II Listed Building in Brenchley, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1516 / 51°9'5"N

Longitude: 0.3983 / 0°23'53"E

OS Eastings: 567830

OS Northings: 141888

OS Grid: TQ678418

Mapcode National: GBR NR2.RJ6

Mapcode Global: VHJMX.V9FZ

Plus Code: 9F32592X+M8

Entry Name: The Cottage South East of Portobello Including Walls to the Garden East of Portobello

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431800

Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12

County: Kent

Civil Parish: Brenchley

Built-Up Area: Brenchley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Brenchley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Paddock Wood


(north side)
15/90 The Cottage south east of
Portobello including walls
to the garden east of

Cottage and garden walls, the cottage converted in 1934 for Robert Bradley
from the C18 or early C19 stable block to Portobello (q.v.). Flemish bond
brick, the cottage roofed with peg-tiles with lead rolls; 1930s brick stacks.

Plan: The Cottage is sited south east of Portobello and roofed on a west east
axis. Walls to the garden at the rear (east) of the house link the barn
(q.v.) with the Cottage. Although the 1930s conversion was drastic the former
stable is still important as part of the context of a good C18 gentry house.
The existing plan form preserves the former loft access to the stable on the
north side, facing Portobello.

Exterior: 2 storeys cottage with a hipped roof and original moulded eaves
cornice. The south elevation is 4 windows with a front door with gabled porch
to right of centre; 2- and 3-light casements with square leaded panes date
from the conversion, with one ground floor oriel. The west elevation, facing
the road, has a first floor coved oriel of 1934 with a transomed window and a
3-light ground floor window with a segmental arched head, both glazed with
square leaded panes. The north elevation has various C20 casements and a
flight of external steps to the west leading to a former loft doorway. The
garden walls include an archway adjacent to the barn.

Group value with Portobello.

A copy of an elevation of the house, dated 1826 and signed by John Adams,
surveyor, of Tenterden, is in the possession of the owner. This shows the
stable block and all its original openings on the south side.

Listing NGR: TQ6783041888

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.