This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7482 / 51°44'53"N
Longitude: -0.5296 / 0°31'46"W
OS Eastings: 501607
OS Northings: 206520
OS Grid: TL016065
Mapcode National: GBR G6Q.BYD
Mapcode Global: VHFS4.RBW6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist (Church of England)
Listing Date: 26 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355490
Location: Berkhamsted, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP1
Civil Parish: Berkhamsted
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bourne End St John
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1. LONDON ROAD (A41)
839 (North side)
TL 00 NW Broadway
Church of St. John the
4/225 Evangelist, Bourne End (C of E)
Parish Church. 1854 by G G Scott for Cannon Sir John Hobart Culme Seymour as a chapel
of ease. (Separate parish 1909). Uncoursed knapped flint with limestone dressings.
Steep pitched roofs of scalloped red tiles. Timber framed S porch on flint and stone
sills. A small Gothic Revival Dec church of nave and polygonal ended chancel under one
roof, gabled S porch balanced by gabled vestry on N side of nave. Slender square shingled
fleche set diagonally over the E end of the nave. Wrought iron crosses on fleche,
porch and chancel. Stone W gable parapet with cross gabled apex stone. Tall 2-light
W window with top light and hood mould. 3 trefoil-headed lancets on S wall of nave,
2-light Dec windows with quatrefoil in head on each facet of chancel. Large buttresses
mark start of chancel with battered plinth and chamfered string courses at sill and
eaves. Steep roofed 2-bay arch-braces wooden porch with open arcaded sides and trefoil
headed entrance under moulded wavy bargeboard. 2-centred arched stone S doorway in 2
continuous chamfered orders. Double doors with large foliate wrought iron hinge plates.
Large copper lamp on iron bracket on front of porch. Apse windows by Alfred Bell (his
first windows) made by Powells in 1854 (Pevsner (1977)107). Scissor-rafter open timbered
nave roof with ashlar pieces. Chancel marked by low screen with lectern attached,
having octagonal wooden base and pierced tracery under a heavy arch-braced collar truss
with king post, carried on EE attached stone wall shafts. Similar ringed marble shafts
at sacristy angles with oak altar rail on bracketed brass supports. Chancel and sacristy
walls and roofs have polychrome fresco painted decoration designed by Charles Rew
architect of Berkhamsted and executed by David Bell of Davidson and Bell dated 1891.
Semi-dome in apse has Christ in majesty. Roof of chancel ceiled between scissor braces
with painted motif decoration between and on rafters, on walls and window mullions.
Large carved wooden altar and tall tabernacle work reredos with figures of Christ in a
vesica, Mary his mother, and St. John. Choir stalls and pews appear to be part of
original design. Narrow pointed doorway with roll moulding and coffered door leads to
small vestry with gothic corner fireplace, 2-light E window and scissor-braced rafter
open timber roof with ashlar pieces. Unusual bowl shaped stone font with foliate base
and octagonal step. 4 small roundels of evangelists in a high relief around bowl with
sunk lettering around rim, and wooden cover. (Kelly (1914)191: VCH (1908)246: Pevsner
Listing NGR: TL0160706520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings